Getting into trading

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by JDMav22, Dec 7, 2009.

1. JDMav22

JDMav22

Hey all, I'm new to the forum so please don't jump down my throat. I was just wondering what the best way is to get into the prop. trading firms. I am currently a college student with one year left to graduation at a top private university (non target). I'm weighing my options for this summer and was wondering where most traders in prop firms get their experience/start. Is it worth seeking out internships? Or would it be more beneficial for me to continue to trade my personal account and build different models, etc? Or would it be worth getting my series 7 (currently work at a firm that would sponsor) & trade my account? Is the 7 even required?
    Thanks in advance

2. Got at least $5k? You're hired!

P.S. The search function is not here just for looks, it's quite useful.

3. zdreg

zdreg

this issue of college students who are are lacking in research skills is a continuous one. this is just one more example of a feely good american education where everthing is handed to college students on a silver platter. then somebody wonders why the US can't compete internationally.

4. Prop firm = nothing special

series 7 will probably help you little, without experience. Employers not hiring now, especially i financial services. There are a lot of people after any job opening, and new grads are at the bottom of the list.

Best suggestion? After pursuing every single opportunity with on-campus interviews and otehr companies, if you cannot get something, get your master's in something employable and await out this horrible economy. If you cannot afford it, get a grad degree at a state school. But make sure employable.

You may grasp this more a couple of years from now.

5. JDMav22

JDMav22

TraderZ..Thanks for the post. I am currently looking a number of masters programs to pursue my interests. Right now, I'm look at risk management programs as well as a applied economics and game theory programs that would hopefully put me in a better position. Would either one of these put me in a better position to nail a trader job? Also, would picking up some basic programming be beneficial?

6. JDMav22

JDMav22

And ZDreg thank you for enlightening us. You really do put everything in persecutive. You are quite wise

7. I.T. is a huge part of large financial institutions - trader jobs are disappearing under a relentless automation effort - thus - IT staff is growing. There are many areas in financial instutions - but again, traders are a slowly dying breed. I worked on a large internal electronic exchange, and trader seats were disappearing due to algorithmic trading and other things. IT, analysts and other people were taking over these seats.

Spend a number of hours searching on the major job boards, DICE.com (tech), Careerbuilder.com (general), looking at the positions that you are targeting (trader, analyst, risk, whatever)

Than get all the skills and certifications that these jobs list as required and desired qualifications. If they mention a Series 7, or Series 3 or other things, consider getting them. Make sure your resume is also given a professional - you can even post it here on ET later, and ask for opinions. But you can also search on existing resumes on places like Craigslist and see what other people put on their resumes.

Consider getting pages on a few social network sites (less Facebook probably and LinkedIn definitely). But build professional looking online presences and get to know anyone you can anywhere on such sites. Make any online friends you can in the Business/Trading world.

8. ugz

ugz