Getting great results lifting weights with a group

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by fan27, Mar 11, 2017.

1. fan27

fan27

I have been going to the company gym the past several months one to three times a week and working out with three other guys from Sales/Marketing. The ring leader of the bunch looks like Russian mafia and spews all sorts of abusive comments insisting we go large or go home. It is hilarious! The oldest guy of the bunch is 52 and is lifting some serious weight. We have a quite primitive gym compared to a full fledged health club but we are doing some serious damage. In the past I have worked out by myself but am discovering major benefits by working a group of guys, especially one being a serious jock. The exercises are typical I suppose be we are going to failure almost every set.

The funny thing is my fiance is in really good shape (had a former career as a Les Mils body combat trainer) and is currently dropping some coin on a personal trainer and my results are blowing hers away. But then again the testosterone helps :)

fan27

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The only problem that I've seen with the group mentality is that creates a co-dependent workout environment for most people that's either full-on or switched totally off.

In other words, if for whatever reason nobody in the group can meet during a certain period of time due to travel, holidays, work, or some other schedule conflict, hardly anyone in the group works out at all when they are by themselves because their source of motivation is totally dependent on having each other.

I have many friends that do crossfit and they usually take a break the last few weeks of the year because of the holidays. Since none of them have each other to motivate and be accountable to, they don't work out at all and will literally put on 15 - 20lbs from overeating, overdrinking, and being sedentary. And I'm like, "What's the point of working out all year if you're just going to ruin all of your progress and even go backwards because of those last few weeks?"

Nereto likes this.
  3. Nereto

Nereto

This is 100% true! Working out is an individual thing. It seems all too often people need a "workout buddy" in order to motivate them to hit the gym. Problem is the moment one of you decides to quit the other one will quit by default. This is not a team sport. You have to find the motivation within you.

Go solo!

4. vanzandt

vanzandt

There's a Seinfeld for every thread.
    index.jpg

5. I've always been a gym loner and other than a polite nod I don't have much conversation while working out. I do think with the right group of people there could be a motivational benefit. The gym I go to, which is not your Planet Fitness type establishment, has several people who work out in groups. What I find interesting is that many of these groups, and by groups I mean 3-5 people, there are many which are both men and women and they don't seem to have any relationship with each other than the gym. Maybe it's just because I'm old, but I don't remember this from years ago. They're all very fit. Oh to be young again. Now I'm just the fit old guy who they hold the door for. That's another thing I've observed. All these younger people in my gym are very polite, even the early twenty somethings. It's refreshing. BTW, I go to the World Gym. It is a chain, but most are there to lift in a serious way.

6. fan27

fan27

I see your arguments but that has not been my experience in practice. There are days when I show up to the gym and I am the only one there...in which case I will just do my own thing. Also there was a stretch late last year where the ring leader was recovering from a workout injury (surprise, surprise) and me and the rest of the crew carried on without him. I suppose it might be different for my situation as we are already at work and the gym is right there so the absence of one or two players will not necessarily through me off track.

7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Yeah, that makes a big difference and it's an awesome setup for you that most people don't have. I wish more workplaces had the ability for employees to work out together.

fan27 likes this.