Getting filled short

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trade_addict, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Does anyone have any techniques for getting a short position filled in a stock that's already started falling. Would i just have to continually lower my ask price while the stock falls making sure my ask is above the current bid?

2. trade_addict wrote:
    > Does anyone have any techniques for getting a short position > filled in a stock that's already started falling. Would i just have > to continually lower my ask price while the stock falls making
    > sure my ask is above the current bid?

Shouldn't

REDI Market Sell

work ?

3. Jordan

Jordan

I put my price in below the bid price... usually 3-4 cents.... and use a limit order. In this way I am telling the MM or Spec that I want this price or better, and the order is "activated" on the first uptik. However, I am not looking for a few cents or a couple of tiks per move so giving up a few cents is not a concern. Because I use Ameritrade, all my orders go to Trimark.... criminals at best.

Although I am not a journal keeper etc., there is no doubt in my mind that I have given up far more profits trying to split the B/A or cut it too close, ultimately not getting filled and see the market fall away quickly.

4. tpk

tpk

you can use a bullet and short on the bid.

5. Ebo

Ebo

You can take 100 shares and create a PLUS tick!
    Perhaps an old trick, but it works!

6. funky

funky

how often is this a problem? besides the fact that you can short without an uptick in futures and ETFs, most stocks will sneak in an uptick all the time -- this is because many execution platforms out there now create their own uptick. in my experience, a limit order 2-3 cents below bid will do the trick.

7. H2O

H2O

Bullets :cool:

8. Peg the offer is a nice way, but you may not get filled. Market short works for me usually. Never liked bullets personally.

9. Guninthewater

Guninthewater Guest

I put my price in below the bid price... usually 3-4 cents.... and use a limit order. In this way I am telling the MM or Spec that I want this price or better, and the order is "activated" on the first uptik. However, I am not looking for a few cents or a couple of tiks per move so giving up a few cents is not a concern. Because I use Ameritrade, all my orders go to Trimark.... criminals at best.

---------

What makes you say that Trimark are criminals?? Just curious.

10. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

Trade addict, it sounds like your a pure day trader. I'm going to beat up on you a little bit, because if I don't the market will (which means I may be the one beating you up on the other side of the trade) ;). The worst thing you can do is drop your price to get short, you're only contributing to the downward momentum. If you keep doing that, when you finally get a fill, it'll scare the WCOME out of you, and the stock will rip up in your face, then you'll be wondering how the hell to buy it back. If you put your house up on the market for $400K, and someone said NO, would you keep dropping the price until you sold it? Stop thinking stocks, and just think trading!!! Think of cabbage, Sony PS2, Cabbage Patch Dolls, whatever, but don't keep dropping the price.

Here's a few tips for Nasdaq only (send me a private email for NYSE)

If you trade with TA:

- look for the bounce at major support. If you can't find it on the Intraday 1,2 or 5, go to the Daily, if you can't find it there go to the weekly. if you can't find it there call me ASAP!!! (BTW not the only TA tips)

- Fear is twice as strong as greed, so the selling pressure will continue until a MM, arb, or hedge fund trader steps in with somebody else's money to raise it back. Remember, even turds float in a flood.

If you trade with MA (momentum analysis):

- Look for the buy and sell side axes, put in a 100 share ECN bid somewhere below but close to the bid (if you're trading 1,000 share size normally) and hit the bid when the buy side axe fades the offer and your bid is hit through.

Stop thinking stocks and just think trading!!!

#10     Jun 7, 2003