Getting fat and the kids are driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by stevegee58, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Arnie

Arnie

I had the same problem....slowly gained weight. A few months ago I did something about it. I joined this outfit. We work out 5 days a week, in rain, sleet snow, anything. First 2 weeks were tough, but now I really look forward to it. See if you have something like this in your area.....

http://www.sealteampt.com/

#21     Feb 10, 2010
  2. inspiring discipline to trading...thanks for sharing

#22     Feb 10, 2010
  3. schizo

schizo

#23     Feb 10, 2010
  4. seems unrealistic to me...who has got 1 hour everyday to work out?...seriously...without taking away from more important items like...family

#24     Feb 14, 2010
  5. yepso

yepso

When I started I was thinking the same as you so I put together a workout that I could live with and do in 15-20 mins in my office. I bought some heavy dumbbells and worked on compressing time(decreasing the rest between sets) rather than increasing weight on the lifts. I did this for probably 4 years doing presses, bent rowing, upright rowing, thrusters, and push ups all with a set of dumbbells and literally busted my ass for 15-20 mins. Now I got my current setup from Sorinex and I have it in a 40x40 I have and my 8 and 10 yr old kids come with me. They jump rope, do situps, pushups, medicine ball, basketball drills, it's all good.

#25     Feb 14, 2010
  6. NoDoji

NoDoji

Stevegee! I thought I converted you to a whole foods pure vegetarian a long time ago! What happened?? :p

I hit the gym @ 5 a.m. and get back before 6:30 in time to check out the early economic news and have an energizing smoothie.

I hit the park with the dog after the close.

I started doing my own yard work (more money to trade with and it's great exercise).

I hike or run 2 miles at least twice a week.

I play on two soccer teams.

I try to convert traders like Stevegee to pure vegetarianism. :D

#26     Feb 14, 2010
  7. bespoke

bespoke

When I say I got fatter it means I went from 165 at 9% body fat to 165 at 14% body fat :p

I had to stop working out because of back problems. Went to a chiropractor (total sham) and and then a physiotherapist for a few months. Doesn't seem to have helped much. So instead of lifting I have to stretch now and do core exercises. I'm sure it would only take a couple months go get back into form thanks to muscle memory.

Went to the gym yesterday though for the first time in a long time. Squats, bench and bent over barbell rows. Been loading up on creatine the past few days to get a jump start and some animal pak pump. Chest hurts today but feels good.

I think doing some kind of exercise is essential for us traders. It's a great way to combat the hours of sitting, and stress or boredom we undergo. Also doesn't help that there's a fully stocked fridge just meters away...

#27     Feb 14, 2010
  8. I'm what I call a 90% vegetarian. I'm Italian so I still need my occasional *real* meatball every so often.

I really shouldn't whine about gaining weight anyway. My weight's crept up 5 pounds from my low after losing 20 lbs.

#28     Feb 14, 2010
  9. yepso

yepso

This has been a good thread ET has some fit traders. I sat behind TO at a CAVS game and was so impressed by his fitness I bought his book. Every day in season he starts with 10 egg whites and oat meal. I made too much mess trying to separate the whites from the yokes so I ordered these egg whites from eggology. Next to creatine and glutamine this this is the best find in a while for me. It can be tough to get convenient consistent protein. One cup, no fat, 120 cal, 26 grams of protein. Quick convenient omelettes, scrambled, egg drop soup, changed how I eat.

#29     Feb 14, 2010
  10. LOL...at least you didn't just run down to McDonalds and get an egg-McMuffin! :D

#30     Feb 19, 2010