getting confused... argh!

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by urug, Jun 2, 2002.

1. urug

urug

Please HELP!

I' m considering trading emini NQ.
    But the information available regarding INTRADAY margin requirements is just confusing.

Ask people, and they' ll all tell you different things! And I' m talking about people from the brokerage firms!

Some told me something between $1500-2000, other $4500. So go figure.

So I think the best thing to do is to actually asking some people trading those NQs, as they should know better.

I was considering IB and Tradestation.

So if someone who trades NQs with them knows about INTRADAY margin requirements for the NQ those firmsq require, it would be really nice if he would like to help me.

Thanks alot!

urug

2. Recently lowered to 1500$ (initial) at IB

overnight is 3000$

3. TGregg

TGregg

NQ margins are deteremined by the firm (at least in part). There even has been one guy on Elite that has promoted a $500 margin. I don't have enough "courage" to trade NQs on only five hundred bucks though.

4. urug

urug

Thank you for your answers.

It also seemed to me that every brokerage firm has its own margin requirement. So this is why I was getting som many different answers.

It looks like you have to call them to know exactly what is going on in regards to those margins...

5. lundy

lundy

everytime brokers lower their margins, they make more money. So wouldn't it make sense to buy brokerage stocks?

I wouldn't consider lower margins a benefit for the trader... Infact trading on any type of margin is very risky. I think that it would be dangerous to use any margin below the CME standard which I think is 1500 initial.

6. qazmax

qazmax

Ohh my....

Well you would certainly be getting in cheap!!

No one is trading... commissions are way down not up at most brokerages.

Firms are firing reps and traders to try and stay afloat. Firms are consolidated and there is zero expnsion.

But you don't make any money buying the top... so maybe you are right.

Ciao...