Getting back to 25K in account

Discussion in 'Trading' started by down_not_out, Jun 14, 2002.

1. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

It doesn't matter who you are.

I have dipped below 25k before & pulled it up. Since you can not trade as often as before. The best is to avoid scalping & look for swing play set up to be able to enter in the morning. Enter in the reversal that is close to the pivot, therefore the stop will be very tight & rewad/risk ratio will be much higher. Volume has to surge at reversal. Enter in the 2/5 min chart, exit when it violate the stop/trend line or to lock in profit. Do not hold overnight or pending news to preserve capital.

#21     Jun 15, 2002
  2. Spark

Spark

Thanks Mr. Gordon for the useful information about the 25k issue. As I indicated earlier, there is no scientific basis for imposing 25k rule. Small traders who want to risk only small amount of money and want to learn about stock trading are barred by this rule. Instead small traders are implicitly encouraged to take higher risk with the new rule. I am wondering if are some invisible hands against little traders!! From the link you provided, there is no reason for trading firms to impose this rule. Anyway it is not good for a free financial society.

#22     Jun 15, 2002
  3. KB96

KB96

It is my understanding that the 25K rule only apply to margin accounts. If this is true, then couldn't you day trade all you want in a cash only account? I know you wouldn't have the leverage of margin, but it could help till you get back to 25k. Maybe I'm wrong, but just an idea?

#23     Jun 15, 2002
  4. KB96,
    With a cash account, if you trade your available equity, you need to wait for the 3 day settlement before you can re-use the funds - not so with a margin account.

#24     Jun 17, 2002
  5. Fohat

Fohat

With cash account, for purchases, you don't use any sameday funds, because you have to pay 3 dasy later at settlement.

Anyway, $0 sameday cash is used for intraday cash-account purchases, because payment is due 3 days later at settlement. Thus, cash accounts don't use or re-use any sameday funds for intraday purchases.
    How much cash are you using for intraday purchases from your cash account currently? $0, zip, nada, because you don't have to pay the same day for them, you have to pay 3 dasy later at settlement.

Yes, currently, all cash accounts consume $0 sameday cash for all intraday purchases.

Cash account rule: Buy now, pay 3 days later at settlement.

#25     Jun 17, 2002