Getting a "real" job as a trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Cityslick, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Cityslick

Cityslick

I figured I'd give this forum a shot for networking considering I really don't know that many people in the business and LinkedIn will not let you PM anyone that you literally have no connection with.

To sum it all up I now get the idea that I have 2 options:

1. Trade my own $$$, develop consistent profitability and then send out the results seeing if any firms will bite <----ANY evidence of that working???

2. Network until I'm blue in the face and maybe perhaps some exec or head trader will bestow his beloved mercy upon me and bless me with a job on a trade desk.

#11     Mar 8, 2012
  2. Cityslick

Cityslick

Forgive me for being overly skeptical but I'm doubtful of random claims on forum posts, especially one without any specifics...

What asset do you trade?

Starting bankroll til now?

What firms have you applied for that are stumbling over themselves for your services?

And...as I have always wondered, what's your reason for going to a firm if you actually are making good money in the markets?

#12     Mar 8, 2012
  3. Maybe try to get in commodity or physical goods trading?

#13     Mar 8, 2012
  4. get a job, any job.
    live below your means
    save a decent amount every month
    trade on the side
    trade small
    so small, you don't worry about it (don't say you shouldn't care)
    build it up

#14     Mar 8, 2012
  5. My personal bankroll is small and I am interested in trading large cash 100m+ Just trying to work my way up the ladders. I trade CL and ES.

#15     Mar 8, 2012
  6. d08

d08

The brokerage software asks you if you have an MBA, if you answer "yes" then your profit factor is automagically increased by 1. It's really simple.

#16     Mar 8, 2012
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Without pedigree it will be tough especially as the Street as a whole is eliminating jobs and there is more consolodation (larger firms, larger funds, and larger banks) so there aren't as many shops who would need to take a chance on someone like you.

But keep networking. It's a needle in a haystack, but the needles are there.

If you are a fundamental guy or a programmer type guy based in NYC, I might be able to work something out with you. PM me if you are interested and we can talk offline perhaps.

#17     Mar 8, 2012
  8. Fah Q

Fah Q

Sounds like a haiku
    :)

#18     Mar 8, 2012
  9. my apologies. That helps as well :)

#19     Mar 8, 2012
  10. :-D

#20     Mar 8, 2012