Get Rich in Commodities Superboom, thanx environmentalists

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nattybumppo, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Sig

Sig

Actually demand increased and supply decreased, again just facts. The whole state was out of power. The shortfall was significantly greater than the total generated by wind. Since demand increased then wind, since it's a non-dispatched resource that always produced 100% of what it's capable of producing, would mathmatically make up less of the power mix than usual. In which case, wind could never be responsible for more of the shortfall than it was capable of producing in the first place let alone more than a shortfall caused by increased demand. If demand want to 200 then not only could my factory could never be responsible for more than the 16 it was capable of making in the first place but it's now only responsible for 8% of the total even if it drops to 0.

And of course, the power grid isn't a widget factory and in reality in Texas fossils fuel plants and even a nuclear plant contributed significantly more to the outages than wind. As would naturally mathmatically be the case when they produce a significantly higher percentage of the power than wind and make up all of the reserve stack.

#41     Feb 20, 2021
  2. Trader200K

Trader200K

Especially when mistakes like rolling blackouts shutting down ‘electric’ powered natural gas compressors pumping to electric generation plants.

Yes, and I do miss the days where people were not so juvenile that problems could be rationally discussed, facts determined and a reasonably reliable path to a solution could be taken for everyone without dehumanizing each other. It is a dangerous turn.

#42     Feb 20, 2021
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

Wind and Solar power generation are not constant.

You'd think the good folks in Texas, the idiots in charge that is, would remember that the next time. Which always comes. And have a better, more plausible excuse.

Everything but brain capacity is bigger in Texas.

#43     Feb 21, 2021
  4. Cuddles

Cuddles

How exactly are EV's needing more steel than conventional automobiles? I get needing more copper and nickle, but you're not making any sense with steel.

#44     Feb 21, 2021
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

Build the plant my guess.

But that's a one time event.

#45     Feb 21, 2021
  6. Oh I hurt your feelings? Windmills were at 10% of capacity during this crisis. Look at the numbers. What a pile of shit. If you didn't have nat gas or coal you would've had NOTHING. ZERO. The grid would've collapsed.

#46     Feb 21, 2021

7. There was very little wind power being produced. Look @ the ERCOT numbers! That's the part you're missing. I keep reading articles about how wind power saved that day and how fossil fuels were the problem. How stupid are these people.

Demand @ peak: 60,000MW
    Wind capability: 31,000 MW
    Total wind production @ peak 3,500MW

That is PATHETIC for a state that has almost a quarter of their production in wind. It wasn't there when you needed it most. It's good when it works. But when it doesn't it's a mess. And you're going to need shit tons of batteries to stabilize the grid. Clean energy isn't always "clean"

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    #47     Feb 21, 2021
  8. They were pressed to install it quickly by left leaning organizations who lobbied for it. https://poweringtexas.com/

They were pressured to shut down 3 coal plants in the past 10 years to less stable energy without an understanding of the environmental factors. You need batteries and lots of them. The tech isn't there yet and may not be for a decade. When it works the left loves it but when it fails they blame fossil fuels lol. The hypocrisy is sickening.

I have no problem with clean energy. I have a problem with lies.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    #48     Feb 21, 2021
  9. Sig

Sig

I asked for your sources and you just continue to fabricate numbers. It doesn't hurt anyone's feelings when you don't grasp the fact that you can't just make stuff up and expect to be taken seriously, it just makes you look foolish. So again, provide a link to your data or you've got nothing.

What you don't seem to grasp even with your made up numbers is that when a resource makes up something like 25% of historical generation then of course it can't be expected to singlehandedly provide 100% of generation even on a normal day let alone during a time of high demand. Of course the ERCOT grid which normally gets 55% of it's power from coal and gas (http://www.ercot.com/gridinfo/generation) would collapse if they went away; it would collapse on a normal day if they went away. In fact they did go away to a large extent and it did collapse to a large extent. What was your point on that again?

#49     Feb 21, 2021
  10. Sig

Sig

I'm looking at the ERCOT numbers, and I understand what an ISO is and how it works as well as what capacity factors are and how they work. Which numbers, exactly, are you looking at to come to the conclusions you've reached (links to the actual data please)?

I run a business that does this for a living, what's your experience in electricity markets again? I'm honestly interested in what your thoughts are on ERCOT's capacity reserve margin and how intermittent resources factor into that calculation. You do grasp that a 500 MW nameplate wind farm isn't considered a 500 MW resource for the purposes of calculating reserve margin (or bidding into a capacity market in ISOs that use them)? I mean clearly you don't based on what you just wrote, but do you really grasp how ignorant you are here? You're essentially a random dude showing up at a brain surgeon conference and yelling at them all that they're a bunch of idiots because the cerebellum is the most important part 'cause you heard it on Tucker Carlson. That's really where your understanding of a pretty complex system is at. Seriously, stop embarrassing yourself.

#50     Feb 21, 2021