Get Rich in Commodities Superboom, thanx environmentalists

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nattybumppo, Feb 20, 2021.

1. SunTrader

SunTrader

Natural gas, not wind turbines, main driver of Texas power shortage

https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/feb/16/natural-gas-not-wind-turbines-main-driver-texas-po/

The state’s grid operator said Feb. 15 that about 34 gigawatts of power were offline. But of that, about 4 gigawatts was due to problems with wind turbines. The rest came mainly from the state’s primary sources, natural gas and coal.

Extreme demand, wind turbines not able to handle cold spell while those designed for it (up north in Minnesota and even Canada) kept on humming along, but mostly carbon based power plants again not designed to handle the cold were the main issue.

#11     Feb 20, 2021
  2. Nobert

Nobert

Arguments :

CCP bannin export
    Just by the way - on everything that has ,,strategic" value.
    Africa's children labour
    Just by the way - in all industries & in the majority of continent
    Destroying biodiversity
    Just by the way - like any fossil fuel before
    A thousand times more of cobalt
    You don't need to dig out half of the world to get it. It's not like : ,,There's enough of cobalt for another 5 years and then we are done"
    Reality doesn't work that way.

Didn't pointed out anything new\wortwhile & maybe i missed but where's the % by how much or less ?

This is the problem with the authors like this, people write for the sake of writing. And...To get paid.

Without data by how much or less, any of these ,,new" problems is irrelevant.
    And once that is known - something can be done about it.

Question tho - is the new problems that much worse than that which we are trying to escape ?

Besides EV/battery tech development is a must, both for robotics & moving beyond this planet.

& at any point in time, we can go back to oil/gas.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    #12     Feb 20, 2021
  3. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

#13     Feb 20, 2021
  4. ET180

ET180

Nonsense? The data came from Cascend Strategy (https://www.cascend.com/), a research firm in New York which apparently sells research to investment firms. Are you claiming that they made up the data, which would jeopardize their business, to fit a ZH narrative?

#14     Feb 20, 2021
    nattybumppo likes this.
  5. Texas could have been one giant turbine and it still wouldnt have produced enough power. You guys are scary stupid. One quarter of their power production was only producing 7% of the power needed @ peak. That is PATHETIC. What a joke. People like you are going to destroy this country and get more people killed. I saw another day was down to 5% lol.

#15     Feb 20, 2021
  6. This is from your own fact check site. 40% of needed power was missing. from 23% of their total power production (wind and solar). What a joke.
    https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/ne...rify/287-6bcde08d-80a0-47cc-9181-f4a45044fcf2

#16     Feb 20, 2021
  7. Blatant lies and misinformation.

"ERCOT is missing about 46,000 megawatts of production ability due to loss of generators, Woodfin said. About 61% of that loss comes from thermal (coal, nuclear, gas) plants shutting down. Only about 39% of the loss comes from wind/solar plants shutting down, Woodfin said."

That whopping 40% loss was a result of wind and solar failing which only accounts for 23% of total power production.

#17     Feb 20, 2021

8. Thats old news. ERCOT came put on Feb 17 and said it was a major factor. Wind wasnt producing shit.

#18     Feb 20, 2021
  9. #19     Feb 20, 2021
  10. SunTrader

SunTrader

I don't question the data (although it is not available to delve into, is it) in the article.

I question the assumption that wind is mostly to blame, which I noticed Tyler Durdan (whata wiseguy - all of them) leads readers to believe more than what that strategy company's research shows.

But I have to say I didn't read to the bottom first time through to see the conclusions which all make sense. Winterize ALL equipment since the link I posted attributes more of the drop-off to carbon-based energy generation (based on info from the state) and not just Wind Power:-

The simple 5-step solution according to Cascend:
    • Winterize {ALL} equipment

• Require power reserve

• Connect the Texas grid better

• Add solar with storage (storage is key)

• And add more natural gas

#20     Feb 20, 2021