Get ready for $11 a pack cigarettes

Discussion in 'Economics' started by cstfx, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Alcohol.

#81     Jun 23, 2010
  2. There are several long term studies showing significant reduction in lung capacity in children who have grown up in heavily polluted air relative to their cohort in nearby communities with cleaner air.

Reduced lung capacity in children is directly linked to serious medical issues once the 40s and 50s are hit.

Separately, the NIH has several metastudies from which you can glean dozens of references linking air pollution to serious health issues.

#82     Jun 23, 2010
  3. No offense Ivan, but I don't smoke outside to please others, I just don't like smoke staying indoors. I agree with you about people smoking inside when they have children being a problem, but I just simply can't see how higher taxes fixes that problem. I would also be against any type of new law or regulation because that is an invasion of privacy. So the only real hope is awareness imo.

#83     Jun 23, 2010
  4. rc8222

rc8222

Obamacare!!!!!!!

#84     Jun 23, 2010
  5. I'm not offended at all, mate. I'm only offended when I'm driving with someone, or in an otherwise equally confined area, and someone starts smoking. If you live alone or with other smokers, puff away!

Awareness isn't going to fix anything. If you're not aware of the dangers of cigarette smoke by now, I'm not sure any amount of marketing is going to hit home.

#85     Jun 24, 2010
  6. Once again, I didn't say car exhaust wasn't a problem. I said it's not as much of a problem as second hand smoke.

Apart from sitting in a closed garage with the motor running, being directly exposed to second-hand smoke is a bit more damaging.

#86     Jun 24, 2010