Get ready for $11 a pack cigarettes

Discussion in 'Economics' started by cstfx, Jun 22, 2010.

1. spd

spd

cigarette smoke still smells like shit. just sayin

That said, I personally disagree with a sin tax and smoking bans in private bars and suchlike. These are in my favor as a non-smoker, but nobody is forcing me to go to a bar, and Id be livid if I was forced to pay an obscene amount for a bottle of Jack Daniels.

#51     Jun 22, 2010
  2. +100

#52     Jun 22, 2010
  3. S2007S

S2007S

One thing I don't understand that really makes no sense are the fools who get those 5-10 minute cigarette breaks every couple of hours while at work, you will see them standing outside in front of the office building just puffing away. Think about it, lets assume he or she smokes just 3 cigarettes at work during his 9-5 job, 8 minute cigarette break by the way, here is the break down:

8 (mins) X 3 = 24 mins a day X 5 = 120 minutes a week x 52 = 6,240 mins or 104 hours of wasted time smoking.

Fucking hate smokers, At least 15+ years around the worse second hand smoke you can imagine. Glad they finally passed laws not allowing smoking in nearly every public place especially restaurants, I look back and cant even fathom why they let that go for so long.

#53     Jun 22, 2010
  4. My B- in law hates smokers. His wife smokes, his kids smoke, he played in a band all his life in smoke filled bars. Now he retired and moved to Florida and it looks like the tar balls might wash up on his beach front property.

#54     Jun 22, 2010
  5. lol best post in thread.

#55     Jun 23, 2010
  6. You are spot on, Robert. Taxation is the best means for the government to control what its citizens do. Because the topic is cigarettes and most don't like cigarettes, everyone tolerates it. But what if the government suddenly didn't think watching TV was good for you anymore? Or any other specific action? They tax the hell out of it and people stop doing it. Easy way to control.

#56     Jun 23, 2010
  7. Not very high. In Ontario the indian reserves sell cheap cigarettes and are tax free. You would be shocked (or maybe not) at the amount of people who simply drive to the reserve to buy cigarettes and avoid the crazy prices and high taxation. Now the government is complaining that this is going on and people are illegally buying cigarettes from the reserves etc., talking about cracking down on it. Are you kidding me? The government caused this problem and now they want to spend more money to crack down on it!

#57     Jun 23, 2010
  8. jo12208

jo12208

Cigarettes sell for about $1 a pack in Colombia

#58     Jun 23, 2010
  9. i rolled over to Marlboro Special Blend. I pay 3.35 per pack instead of $5.50 now.

fed should just ban cigarettes...no wait, does it mean it'll find others like burgers, candies, and chinese food to raise taxes on?

just my feeling that our govt sees cigarettes as a great source of revenue more than anything.

#60     Jun 23, 2010