Get long June Crude Contract $64.50/ 4-9-07

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by myminitrading, Apr 9, 2007.

1. OT, Just look at some of the other threads mininuts starts, when it dont go to plan he goes m.i.a. for a while then comes back with a new plan/thread....high entertainment value tho'.

#11     Apr 10, 2007

2. Demand

#12     Apr 10, 2007
  3. I get all my information off my Bloomberg terminal. Here are some of the canned pages available.

• oil.jpg
      File size:
      418 KB
      Views:
    #13     Apr 10, 2007
  4. Oil news

#14     Apr 10, 2007
  5. No, that's De-Man. He's the one you pay the premium to. Right before the price starts to drop...

#15     Apr 10, 2007
  6. PJKIII

PJKIII

A $3 spread between front and next nearby reflects a total lack of demand for the commodity at present. I think more accurately it reflects a glut of oil, which is due in part to refinery outages and their correspondingly lack of demand for crude to refine into products. Note the gasoline market is highly backwardated due to the shortage of it and the worry about a lack of supply in the near term. In the long run these astronomical crack spreads will cause the refiners to speed up their maintenance and get back online to take advantage of the hefty profits afforded to them by current crack values.

#16     Apr 10, 2007
  7. I assume by "hefty profits" you mean that gas prices are expensive compared to crude prices?

#17     Apr 10, 2007
  8. I see, so a negative spread between the front and next nearby must reflect more demand as shown in the US Dollar contract.

I doubt it.

• dx.jpg
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
    #18     Apr 10, 2007
  9. Doofus.

Apparently blissfully ignorant of the concept of carry/financing. It's not a supply/demand equation. The swap is embedded, hence the discount.

#19     Apr 10, 2007
  10. So far so good, crude now @ $65.23.

#20     Apr 11, 2007