Get around Potential Pattern Day Trade at IB?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Relleum, Jan 18, 2007.

1. LESCOR:Can you name some of those.

#11     Jan 18, 2007
  2. #12     Jan 18, 2007
  3. I didn't know that they were counted towards the pattern daytrading rule. My mistake, thanks for pointing that out.

#13     Jan 18, 2007
  4. andread

andread

exactly what i was thinking :)

#14     Jan 18, 2007
  5. andread

andread

how can that be? It's an SEC rule. The only option is to trade somewhere/something else

#15     Jan 18, 2007
  6. lescor

lescor

Sorry, had a blonde moment on my earlier post. I was refering to prop firms that will let you trade all you want with less than $25,000. Many don't require licensing and some allow overnight positions.

I trade at a firm like this, but they also offer SIPC insured retail accounts, but with the same PDT restrictions as all such accounts. I got my wires crossed there and it came out wrong.

#16     Jan 18, 2007
  7. You should trade futures and futures options anyways in my opinion. Trading stocks is very hard from a retail platform because of the margin rules.

treasury futures and futures options are great to trade. If it works better for you KOSPI option are super fun as the liquidity is out of this world. Between you and me we will say I'm break even on KOSPI option but the degree of difficulty is a little higher than ZF and ZN options

#17     Jan 18, 2007
  8. GTC

GTC

Relleum, I did not say you can never have a 4th position with IB. IB does not claim that its system will prevent you to have that position in all type of scenarios. I have mentioned that IB "tries to" prevent you from having the "new 4th" position. Until you bring your account to $25k or above, it is probably the best not to have more than a couple of day-trades in rolling 4 days to ensure to make you do not miss out good overnight trade opportunities.

#18     Jan 19, 2007
  9. Just to confirm, that I can trade Emini s&p 500 on interactive brokers as many as I want, no pattern day trader applied. Is this correct?

Thank you

#19     Dec 16, 2015
  10. Sig

Sig

Another trick, you can open up a number of subaccounts at IB. Each one is treated as its own account for PDT purposes. Just transfer money around between several of those accounts and avoid tripping the PDT barrier.

#20     Dec 16, 2015