Get a generator...

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by chaosclarity, Aug 29, 2011.

1. jumper

jumper

What does that cost?

#51     Nov 13, 2011
  2. Trader13

Trader13

Well said. The laptop's battery provides instant failover if the AC fails. And use a standard UPS to keep your modem/router going so you keep your internet connection.

#52     Nov 13, 2011
  3. Ouch! Sounds very dangerous on both counts.

#53     Nov 13, 2011
  4. The problem with that is that when you forget to turn off the main breaker, you are also backfeeding the Electric Co's line. I know you will never forget to shut off the main breaker but what about someone else in the house.

High risk to reward ratio.

#54     Nov 13, 2011
  5. In my case, no one else knows where I keep my little adapter wire that provides the male end to male end gender changer that fits the gen set. Then there is the warning tag on the 220 breaker for the gen set that says turning it on while the main breaker is on will burn the house down. Security is 90% bluff.

#55     Nov 14, 2011
  6. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

Works like a charm, being it's simple and straight forward there's no real excuse to screw it up.

But it's also easier to take the simple route and just plug in your computers/routers/refrigrators directly into the generator.

This is what I'm talking about: and it's a high end one http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ooglebase-_-D25X-_-202048857&locStoreNum=2706

#56     Nov 14, 2011
  7. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

Forgetting to turn off the main breaker... write it on sharpie on the generator! :p This step is crucial, if you don't then you'll cause a problem because of a short via the generator and grid when it comes back on.

If you're technically inept (I have a feeling most everyone isn't here), just plug your gear directly into the generator...

#57     Nov 14, 2011
  8. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

#58     Nov 14, 2011
  9. If you're gonna spend thousands on a generator, spend the extra $500 to get an electrician to install a proper transfer switch with a subpanel.

It's stupid to do a "Harry Homeowner" job wiring it in just to save a few hundred when you're spending thousands for something so important.

#59     Nov 14, 2011
  10. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

Yeah I agree... just saying, quick fix!

BTW, 2kw generators (plenty for a computer and keeping food cold) are only a coupe hundred bucks at HD or Lowes.

#60     Nov 14, 2011