Get a generator...

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by chaosclarity, Aug 29, 2011.

1. For my trading system, I use an APC 1500 VA UPS. By paralleling a high capacity CAT earth mover lead acid battery, my power off operating time is approximately 9 hours. Most of the power outages in my area last less than 15 seconds, but we occasionally have longer outages.

Unlike a generator, the UPS makes the switch to battery power fast enough to allow my computers, dsl modem and router to continue operating without interruption.

For extended outages, I use an 8 kw gasoline generator to maintain the freezer, operate basic electrical electric equipment and to recharge my UPS batteries.

If you decide to connect your generator to you home electrical system through your electrical panel, you must be absolutely certain that the main breaker in the panel remains OFF at all times.

A UPS also adds additional protection to sensitive electronic equipment by providing isolation from the primary power mains during harmful voltage transitions and spikes.

#31     Nov 3, 2011
  2. jumper

jumper

9 hours?

#32     Nov 3, 2011
  3. With an earth mover battery, I'm surprised it's not longer than that.

#33     Nov 3, 2011
  4. There are monitors, a server, and network switch running on the UPS too.

Nine hours is a conservative time, because I don't like to deep cycle the CAT battery too far. In addition, the battery was used when I bought it.

Anytime the main power is off for more than 2 hours, I use an auxiliary charger on the battery to bring it back to full charge.

#34     Nov 3, 2011
  5. ajcrshr

ajcrshr

I hope those that install their own generators have some anti-islanding precautions so they don't kill a line worker repairing an outage. You can't just use an extension cord...

#35     Nov 3, 2011
  6. I never back feed my generator into my panel without first breaking the seal and pulling my meter to isolate my house from the grid. I also throw my main breaker to off for additional insurance.

#36     Nov 3, 2011
  7. How much did the battery cost and where did you get it? I just moved into a condo and I don't think they would be too happy with me running my generator from the deck.

#37     Nov 3, 2011
  8. I purchased the battery for $20.00 in Lake City, CO from a camper who was rebuilding his solar system. He switched to a gel battery system.

These CAT batteries seem to last quite a long time if a charger is used that can remove the sulfation from the plates and they are rejuvenated two or three times a year.

Be sure to use the proper size wire and either a fuse or circuit breaker between the auxiliary battery and the internal UPS battery.

The only reason I keep my internal battery in place is so I will have a system that functions when I'm doing maintenance on the CAT battery. I just turn the circuit breaker off and connect the charger to the CAT battery. The internal charger in the UPS keeps a float charge on both batteries.

#38     Nov 3, 2011
  9. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

Do you live in Connecticut ?. It's been taking that long to get power back here also. Still 400,000 people without power since Saturday night.

#39     Nov 4, 2011
  10. Very interesting thread. I am planningto move into a new building next year (finally found one worth buying and reconstructing) and will need 20.000 kw emergency power there )I have like 100 square mters for computers in the basement) ;) Thanks a lot for thie information here - will go with a nat gas setup. Never considered a gas generator before ;)

#40     Nov 11, 2011