German Nuclear Plants to Close.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by morganist, May 30, 2011.

1. It's a bullshit desicion.

1: Germany today imports foreign nuclear power. How hypocrite is that?

2: If there is a meltdown elsewhere in europe, Germany would be affected just as much.

Germans dont like the bailouts but there is nothing Merkel wants or can do about that so she decides to buy some votes through pretending to secure people's safety and Germany's independence this way.

It's pure pandering.

#11     May 30, 2011
  2. Yes, agree, pandering. Since the moratorium went into effect, they're importing far more zappy juice from their nuclear fueled neighbors.

#12     May 31, 2011
  3. Selling energy is much better than buying energy, so the plants are needed. Germany will not close the nuclear plants, where will that lost 23% come from?

Solar power = LOL

#13     May 31, 2011
  4. I don't know why people care so much about nuclear and other atoms, Can't we live like a unit in this world at least we all are the family members of the earth in the big universe
    Thanks

#14     May 31, 2011
  5. futuman

futuman

Germany is a northern country and the electricity consumption is lowest during the summer months. So, why do you expect blackouts then?

#15     May 31, 2011
  6. I was just going to say this. Germans do not have air conditioners in their homes because there is no need. In July its considered a hot day when its 72 degrees.

Unfortunately I learned the hard way that summers are cold there by getting off the plane in shorts and a tank top(because it was 120 degrees when I left arizona) and finding that it was barely 65 degrees on a sunny day and when the sun set it touched the 40s.

#16     May 31, 2011
  7. futuman

futuman

RQ, it seems you didn't understand the news. The Germans said goodbye to nukes, not more of them. Understand?

#18     May 31, 2011
  8. AK100

AK100

Too true. Nuclear is THE only option for the future, like it or not.

Same re the blackouts which are just a matter of time coming in the UK. When the masses start to suffer rolling blackouts and can't play their Wii, charge their phones, surf the web, watch crappy TV, cook via their microwaves etc see how quickly everyone warms to nuclear.

#19     May 31, 2011
  9. LeeD

LeeD

Installing a natural gaz engine into a typical sedan is relatively inexpensive and given the oil prices can pay for itself in a year or 2. The problem is to place a bulky gas tank the car owner usually has to sacrifice the trunk, which deprives the owner from a lot of convenience in having a car.

I would expect commercial vehicles like vans and lories to move to natural gas faster. Most ordinary people will likely wait till gas tanks are icorporated into design by mainstream car manufactureres, which may take 5-10 years, or with more economical "hybrid" engines may never happen.
    I am of the same opinion. Given it's planned in over 10 years, there is plenty of time for one of the next governments to reverse the move.

Notice that nuclear plants have a limited operational period anyway after which the reactor and lots of infrastructure should be completely replaced to keep it safe. To me this moves sounds just like not building new reactors. The existing ones will be just taken out of service as their useful life naturally expires.
    I agree with Futuman. Because surely a few people use electricity for heating in winter, the consumption in summer is bound to be lower.

Another point to consider is like with availability of water the government has measures in place. Say, when there was a drought in England a couple of years back, hose ban was sufficient to ensure whole areas didn't stay without tap water. Same with electricty... mandating that offices should switch off non-essencial computers at night may be enough to aleviate minor electricity shortage.

That is if you are sceptical regarding abiotic oil

#20     May 31, 2011