George Soros on Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BCE, Jan 5, 2011.

1. I once asked my brother, who likes opera (I don't), whether Pavarotti was still as good as he used to be. He said "No, but he is still better than anyone else."

Soros may not remain among the best but my bet is he is still very sharp.

#51     Aug 7, 2014
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Do you really believe that crap?

#52     Aug 7, 2014
  3. Yes, actually. You could argue trying to make a behavioral science out of it is a little pretentious, but reflexivity is just a different word for feedback loop, which we know exists and understanding that gets us out of the 'it cant go any higher/lower' mindset stupidity. The efficient-market way of thinking has been a disaster.

People go off on Soros and I don't quite get it. Course I tend to not give a crap about peoples' politics.

#53     Aug 8, 2014
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

I'll help you get it. He has evaded billions in taxes while advocating others to pay more. I can't make it any more simpler then that.

#54     Aug 8, 2014
  5. My politics are certainly not in line with Soros' yet I'm trying to figure out what your post means. When you say he has "evaded" billions in taxes do you mean he has used every loophole and the best tax pros to lower his tax due or are you saying he has defrauded the system.

Two very different things.

#55     Aug 9, 2014
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Both. Look, I'm a fair person and I actually admire the guy a lot. There is no doubt he has talent. I've read all his books and know his story well. Unlike many people on ET, I can separate people from their politics.

I'm just explaining the reason most people don't like him is not because he is a liberal, it's because he is a hypocrite. Hypocrisy crosses through both political parties.

#56     Aug 9, 2014
  7. Mav, I believe your problem with him is that he is a hypocrite but I think there are a fair number out there who detest him because he is a liberal. They feel everyone with wealth needs to man the wall against the invading hordes.

He's got enough balls to back his plays large and enough skill not to get trapped in positions that bury him. A rare combination. I, for one, don't care about his politics and if I begin too look for those that are not hypocrites I'll need to borrow a lantern from Diogenes.

#57     Aug 9, 2014
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

It's all about magnitude. You and I are also both hypocrites but most likely on a smaller scale. It's when your hypocrisy leads to billions of dollars or people dying, that's when it becomes problematic.

#58     Aug 9, 2014
  9. Fair comment. Scale frequently changes the nature of things.

#59     Aug 9, 2014
  10. Is it just me or does anyone else notice that many liberals are willing to give money away freely that belongs to the people of the United States, but when it comes to their own personal wealth they are very conservative and capitalistic. Its like they realize the best way to preserve and create wealth for their own personal welfare, but can't see whats best for the country. How is this possible?

#60     Aug 10, 2014