George Soros - he can has cheeseburger

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Covertibility, Nov 10, 2010.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

Mav, I put gab-liberal on ignore some time ago. The only time I see his stuff is when someone quotes him. Looks like he hasn't changed. Thank God for the ignore button here!

You'll probably be happier if you put him on ignore. I know I am!

#31     Nov 11, 2010
  2. As surely as night follows day, the collective ET brow gets ratcheted lower and lower...

#32     Nov 11, 2010
  3. Saying Soros is "somewhat liberal" is like saying the Jeffery Dahmer was somewhat of a serial killer.

Comparing Buffett and Soros is another huge stretch, that's like comparing Ronald Reagan & Hugo Chavez. Soros only wants what is best for Soros . . . no one else. I guess he broke the Bank of England for the benefit of all of those "common" individuals that lost all of their money in that transaction and for the good of England, right?

All one has to do is research Soros' life to see what a maladjusted socio-economic terrorist he is. Some of us are smart enough to filter the facts from fiction and it isn't hard. Soros himself has admitted and is proud of all of his actions. He is the master of his own past, present and future and will proudly tell you that. The delusional are those that think he is joking about it.

#33     Nov 11, 2010
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

You never answered my question. Look Gabby, you may not believe this, but I am actually trying to have a conversation with you. I'm actually trying to get intelligent dialogue going here. I should have left the expletives out of my post. My bad. But I really want you to address my point. This is really is my biggest beef with liberals. I actually consider myself to be a pretty tolerant person on others views. I really am. But my biggest problem with liberals, and many conservatives for that matter, is they don't practice what they preach.

Soros is just one example but there are so many others. The liberal who screams in support of the teacher unions but puts their kids in private schools. The liberal who goes on and on about environmental spending but flys around in private jets and lives in 26k square foot homes. The liberal who talks about multi-culturism but lives in the ritzy upper class 100% white neighborhoods. You get my point.

Soros is yet another who talks about raising taxes and social spending at the federal level. Now these ideas and programs are not cheap. They cost money. But he doesn't contribute towards it. It's the middle class that has to pay for his ideas and views, not him. Doesn't that bother you? I know you are not an American, but just on principle, be honest, that doesn't bother you in the least?

Look, to be fair, it irks me just as much when conservatives beat the drum on war spending but don't want to pay taxes to finance the war. Same idea, different party.

#34     Nov 11, 2010
  5. Sorry, Prof, but you don't know what you're talking about here. On the plus side, you're in good company. That's what you get when you limit yourself to headlines and sensationalist crap. If you'd like a rather brief and balanced outline, go to a bookstore and look through Mallaby's More Money Than God for all references related to Soros. Then get back to me.

#35     Nov 11, 2010
  6. My earlier link explains the rationale for Soros setting up his funds offshore. As for tax liability, I was under the impression that Americans have a tax liability on world income:

"In the United States, a tax is imposed on income by the federal, most state, and many local governments. The income tax is determined by applying a tax rate, which may increase as income increases, to taxable income as defined. Individuals and corporations are directly taxable, and estates and trusts may be taxable on undistributed income. Partnerships are not taxed, but their partners are taxed on their shares of partnership income. Residents and citizens are taxed on worldwide income..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_the_United_States

Are you suggesting that Soros is actually evading taxes? If so, perhaps you could provide some incontovertible evidence in this regard?

As an aside, only a fool would pay more tax than he has too while someone else doesn't. The idea is to change the rules and then for everyone to abide by them.

#36     Nov 11, 2010
  7. Sorry I've ready all of Soro's books. I prefer getting my opinions about the horse, straight from the horse's mouth.

#37     Nov 11, 2010
  8. As I've noted earlier, I've read a number of books by him and about him. The reason I suggested the book that I did is because it is more succinct and objective without being bare-boned. Further, I expected that if I had told you to read Soros's own books you would probably have responded that his own books are self-serving. Mallaby gives a fascinating and objective account of the major hedge fund players, starting with A.W. Jones in the '50s.

#38     Nov 11, 2010
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yes, I am suggesting he is evading taxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:CO/Criticism_of_George_Soros

"George Soros has heavily been criticized for avoiding to pay taxes in the United States.[4] Soros moved his headquarters to the tax free Caribbean country of Curacao, which is outside of the supervision of the United States Government. The Netherlands Antilles has repeatedly been cited by the Task Force on Money Laundering of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) as one of the world's most important centers for laundering illegal proceeds of the Latin American cocaine and other drug traffic. It is a possession of the Netherlands."

Gabby, you don't understand our tax laws. If one sets up an entity outside the US, as long as that money stays outside the US, it is not taxed. Yes, as an individual, if you earn income outside the US then you, as an individual still are liable for US taxes. That is the whole idea of money laundering. Taking money from outside the US and laundering into the US tax free.

#39     Nov 11, 2010
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

As far as this goes, he is not playing on the same field as everyone else. He pays no taxes and the middle class pays all of them. I would generally agree with you that one does not need to pay more in taxes that are due simply because they are an activist. But when he pays little to no taxes and we are stuck with the full burden, then that does not strike me as equal. You would have to agree with that no?

#40     Nov 11, 2010