Geoff's FX Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by esuperbo, Nov 13, 2005.

1. esuperbo

esuperbo

Intent of this jounal:

1. Provide a record of mental states/intentions that can be later reconciled with real world actions.
    2. Keep track of my trading performance.

Description of trading approach:

Medium term trend following system, 100% mechanical. Worst case drawdowns (all markets fully pyramided) are limited to 5% of equity per week, with any subsequent (ie nonpyramided) drawdowns limited to 2.5% of equity per week. Markets traded include the most liquid crosses, with spread relative to daily/weekly range the prime criterion for selection.

Initial goals:

Trade the system without discretionary or systematic modifications until Jan 1, 2006. Record trade statistics. Observe my psychological responses to winning/losing/treading water streaks. Once these goals have been reached on Jan 1, 2006, reevaluation of goals will be undertaken.

Background:

I'm 22 years old, a Civil Engineering student from Canada. I've chosen Oanda as my broker due to the ability to implement my chosen money management strategies with limited capital.

2. esuperbo

esuperbo

November 13, 2005

All numbers normalized to a hypothetical $100,000 account. My intent is some degree of privacy, but I'm unsure if this is really relevant. Regardless.

Current Closed Equity: $100,030
    Current Open Equity: $0

No trades currently open. Waiting for signals.

3. esuperbo

esuperbo

November 14, 2005

Account Balance: $100,048
    Unrealized P&L: $90
    Net Asset Value: $100,138

Active in 4 of 8 markets. Here's to hoping that slow and steady wins the race. Trading real money wasn't as bad as I expected... I checked my account far too frequently, but there was no impulse to override the system - likely because I was in the black. We'll see how it goes when the numbers turn red.

4. esuperbo

esuperbo

November 15, 2005

Account Balance: $99,724
    Unrealized P&L: $480
    Net Asset Value: $100,204

Active in 4 of 8 markets from signals taken Monday. Signal taken in fifth market today, whipsawed to a loss of 0.3125% of equity (2.5% divided by 8 markets).

I've found that signals taken Mondays tend to outperform those taken later in the week when trading a game account. Will this continue in live trading?

5. esuperbo

esuperbo

November 16, 2005

Account Balance: $99,484
    Unrealized P&L: $880
    Net Asset Value: $100,364

Active in 3 of 8 markets. GBP weakness kicked me out of another trade, just like yesterday.

6. esuperbo

esuperbo

November 17, 2005

Account Equity: $99,506
    Unrealized P&L: $484
    Net Asset Value: $99,990

Gave back a lot of gains, but still active in 3 of 8 markets. Time to see if resistance will hold for CHF and JPY crosses.

7. esuperbo

esuperbo

November 18, 2005

Account Balance: $99,530
    Unrealized P&L: $464
    Net Asset Value: $99,994

Still active in 3 of 8 markets. Net interest positive, holding over the weekend. Boring week to start, but that's better than a massively losing one!

8. esuperbo

esuperbo

November 21, 2005

Account Balance: $98,986
    Unrealized P&L: $808
    Net Asset Value: $99,794

Units are volatility adjusted by market. Max of 1 unit added to a market per week.

AUD/JPY: Long 2 units.
    EUR/AUD: Short 1 unit.
    NZD/USD: Long 1 unit.
    USD/JPY: Long 1 unit.

Most markets are treading water...

AUD/JPY could be promising if it breaks resistance at 87.70.
    EUR/AUD needs a break below 1.592.
    NZD/USD is hitting .69.
    USD/JPY is just plain choppy.
    USD/CHF is a technicians dream, but a whipsaw hit my stops and so I'm out after a week and a bit of riding the bounces.

9. esuperbo

esuperbo

November 22, 2005

Account Balance: $98,614
    Unrealized P&L: $124
    Net Asset Value: $98,738

EUR/AUD: Short 1 unit.

Today wasn't that fun.

NZD/USD long managed to just barely take out my stop, and then start climbing back. Currently the pair would have been profitable had I not been stopped out.

USD/JPY had a slow grind upward, tapped on 119.4 a bit, then FOMC hit. I watched the pair plunge, wanted to get out, but told myself I'm testing a mechanical system not my discretion. Stop was hit.

AUD/JPY is currently treading water just below 87.70. Thought there might be a break of resistance at 14:30 or so, but no dice.

EUR/AUD is slowly grinding toward my stop. If the trend continues I give this a few hours before I get booted out.

10. esuperbo

esuperbo

November 23, 2005

Account Equity: $98,326
    Unrealized P&L: $400
    Net Asset Value: $98,726

Got booted out of EUR/AUD like I thought.

Geoff's complimentary trading tip of the day, from watching AUD/JPY bounce off 86.7 remarkably consistently:

1. Wait until 2pm tomorrow, and see if AUD/JPY is at 86.70-75 trying to break through 86.7, just like yesterday and today.
    2. Put a limit order to go long at 86.80, stop at 86.65-70ish, TP at your discretion. This would be the breakout trade.
    3. Put a limit order to go short at 86.60-70ish, stop at 87.80, TP at 86.35-45ish. This would be the retracement trade.

Too bad im not running a discretionary system...

#10     Nov 23, 2005