Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Spydertrader, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Maybe the NASCAR inspectors ought to take a second look at the 24 car, considering what they found on the 48.

#11     Feb 13, 2006
  2. After the cars of Terry Labonte and Jimmy Johnson (both from Hendrick Motorsports) failed to pass inspection (Labonte was found to have illegal parts in his carburetor), NASCAR officials did indeed take another look at the #24 Dupont Chevrolet. According to several insiders posting to USENET's rec.autos.sport.nascar (RASN), The officials also felt the situation warrented another look see at Jeff Burton's Car. Burton supposedly passed the 'second look' by NASCAR officials. No word yet on Gordon and the #24.

According to the popular NASCAR web site, Jayski's, NASCAR has ejected Jimmy Johnson's Crew Chief Chad Knauss (#48 Lowes) "from any further participation in 2006 Daytona 500 activities as a result of a rules infraction discovered following pole qualifying runs Sunday."

Looks like NASCAR dropped the hammer on these guys this time.

- Spydertrader

#12     Feb 13, 2006
  3. Brutal. Might have to change my pick in Nascar.com's "Streak to the Finish" game. Anyone else play those games? I just play the free one!

#13     Feb 13, 2006
  4. 18 here. Labonte one of the greats at getting through all the miles, wrecks and younger yahoos' antics to be there near the end. If he can get back to that - being somewhere near the front toward the end of the race - he can win. True in endeavors other than racing too. Will have to retrain my eyes to watch for the black car instead of the familiar green that was so easy to spot for years. I don't what in hell to think about being a Betty Crocker guy though. :( :D

#14     Feb 13, 2006
  5. That'll be rough walking around w/ a big spoon on the back of your jacket!

#15     Feb 13, 2006
  6. I met both Bobby and Terry labonte at Bristol a few years back (same year earnhardt booted Terry on the Final lap to win the Bristol Night Race). Both brothers seemed very friendly and genuinely interested in thanking the fans for all their support over the years. As a result, I've never been disappointed when either labonte won a race and my guy didn't. I too look forward to seeing Petty Enterprises back in Victory Lane. They certainly have the personnel now to mount a realistic charge - labonte, Parrot & loomis. Such a high powered combination should make for some thrilling moments on the track.

- Spydertrader

#16     Feb 13, 2006
  7. I haven't played any of the fantasy racing league games, but you might consider the history of Daytona when deciding your pick. The Daytona 500 has a history of "Losers winning and Winners losing." By example, Michael waltrip, Ward Burton, Derrick Cope and Tiny Lund all won the Daytona 500, but have few victories elsewhere. At the other end of the spectrum, some of the winningest drivers have only won the Daytona 500 once. The top of this list is David Pearson with 105 lifetime "Cup" wins and only 1 Daytona 500 win. Right behind him are one-time Daytona 500 winners Darrell waltrip with 84 lifetime "Cup" wins, Dale Earnhardt with 76, and Junior Johnson with 50.

As you can see, picking the winner of the Daytona 500 can often be tricky.

- Spydertrader

#17     Feb 13, 2006
  8. Thanks for the tip. I play the game where you have to pick a top 10 driver each week. You see how many weeks in a row you can do it w/out picking the same driver during your streak. I cant get on the leaderboard though... too many people play!!!

#18     Feb 13, 2006
  9. saxon

saxon

ROFL!!!

Now THAT'S my kind of football team! :p

#19     Feb 13, 2006
  10. Crew chief Chad Knaus calls himself an innovator in the racing world. NASCAR hasn't exactly seen it the same way. Here is a knaus timeline that includes penalties imposed by NASCAR:

• March, 21, 2001: Suspended two races and fined $5,000 for using unapproved shoulder harnesses in a car driver by Stacy Compton.
    • Oct. 22, 2001: Fined $750 for using unapproved windshield clips on Compton's car.
    • Dec. 10, 2001: Hired by hendrick motorsports as crew chief for Jimmie Johnson's No. 48 Chevrolet.
    • July 11, 2002: Fined $25,000 for having improperly installed mounting bolts. The team also was docked 25 championship points and 25 owner points.
    • July 23, 2002: Fined $5,000 for cursing during a live television interview.
    • May 21, 2003: Fined $1,000 for using an unapproved air-directional device during NASCAR's All-Star race.
    • May 26, 2003: Signed five-year contract extension with hendrick motorsports.
    • May 27, 2003: Fined $2,500 for using an unapproved refrigerant.
    • March 15, 2005: Suspended two races and fined $35,000 because Johnson's race-winning car failed to meet the minimum height requirement during post-race inspection at Las Vegas. The team also was docked 25 championship points, which knocked Johnson out of the points lead.
    • March 16, 2005: Appealed suspension.
    • March 23, 2005: National Stock Car Racing Commission overturned the suspension and placed knaus on 90 days of probation, but upheld the fine and the points penalty.
    • Sept. 30, 2005: NASCAR changes a rule regarding shock absorbers after knaus exploited a loophole that caused Johnson's car to fail post-race inspection at Dover International Speedway.
    • Feb. 12, 2006: Johnson's qualifying time for the Daytona 500 was disqualified after the car failed a post-qualifying inspection.
    • Feb. 13, 2006: Suspended from the Daytona 500 for raising the rear window on Johnson's car to alter the aerodynamics during the team's qualifying run.

BTW, Jeff Gordon (driver of the #24 Dupont Chevrolet) remains part owner (along with Rick Hendrick) of Jimmy Johnson's (with Crew Chief Chad knaus) #48 Lowes Chevrolet. No wonder NASCAR wanted to 'review' the #24 ride a second time.

- Spydertrader

#20     Feb 14, 2006