Genius idea selling puts on SPX??

Discussion in 'Options' started by iloveksy, Sep 13, 2019.

1. qlai

qlai

You said you have quit options didn't you? I don't care either way, but what gives?

#21     Sep 15, 2019
  2. taowave

taowave

What kind of returns can you generate by selling puts at far less than 1% of spot?

Define thriving

#22     Sep 15, 2019
  3. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

"Can you share some details of what the awful awful thing that actually happens is"

Taowave said it well, you risk so much to gain so little. The risk is not about going in the money 5% of the time. The risk is how severely in the money it can go, and when they go against you, you get hit simultaneously on all sides.

Personally, never happened to me. I could never own enough of them. I'd gobble them up like potato chips. I guess, one mans garbage truly is another mans treasure.

#23     Sep 15, 2019
    taowave likes this.
  4. qlai

qlai

In your long professional career, below never happened or it did but you have been able to manage it?
    If you didn't get caught, was it luck or skill or both?

#24     Sep 15, 2019
  5. I prefer the more immediate gratification of trading futures, but I have to admit I'm an options trader first and foremost. I liked the idea of being "out" of the market overnight. My happy place is a combo of selling options while hedging with futures. Hope this makes sense.

#25     Sep 15, 2019
    taowave and qlai like this.
  6. iloveksy

iloveksy

Sweet Bobby, would you share your Greek parameters for 60, 30 DTE combo?

#26     Sep 15, 2019
  7. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

Neither luck nor skill. It never happened, because I always owned them. So I'll go with discipline.

It is impossible and a waste of time to attempt to impress on people the foolishness of selling those things. Total waste of time. People cannot see extremes. It's hardwired into our lizard brains to seek comfort in mental mean reversions. A warm-fuzzy desire for normalcy.

#27     Sep 15, 2019
  8. qlai

qlai

Oh sorry, I didn't understand that owning meant being long. Thanks for reply!

#28     Sep 15, 2019
  9. Target theta is between 0.10% and 1.00% of the net liquidating value
     Target theta/vega ratio is |0.20| or higher
     Maintain negative delta in the account to alleviate downside risk in the market
     Target delta/vega ratio is -1 delta to -2 vega (keep ½ negative delta to
    negative vega)

#29     Sep 15, 2019
    iloveksy likes this.
  10. qlai

qlai

Actually, it make lots of sense, imho.

#30     Sep 15, 2019
    Sweet Bobby likes this.