Genesis Releases Latest Ping Times Tests

Discussion in 'Events' started by Serge Pustelnik, Jun 14, 2005.

1. nitro

nitro

You keep saying that you get microsecond time using linux as if that means that you are getting better network performance than being on a LAN.

Once and for all, I can write the same ping in windows and it would show the same ping times as linux to within the error term in computers CPU clock cycle. The fact that your ping shows a number that is different than the ping times you are seeing above on the post by Serge are an artifact of the ping you are using, not that you are going faster!

Here is a different ping that uses a different strategy:

http://www.cfos.de/ping/ping.htm

nitro

#21     Jul 11, 2005
  2. hmap1

hmap1

We may just not be understanding eachother, or maybe I am not understanding your statement.

You stated that you cannot get pings less than 1ms. I was stating that you can see that resolution of microseconds in Linux. I am NOT stating that a linux box is faster on a network than Winblowz. Its simply the resolution you are seeing that is different, not the times.

#22     Jul 11, 2005
  3. hmap1

hmap1

Nitro, do you run pure gigabit on your network?

#23     Jul 11, 2005
  4. nitro

nitro

No,

You said the following and I quote:

and

and

That implies to me that you are talking about the connections themselves, not that your ping program is different than my ping program.

Look, once you are on the LAN, the packets are getting as fast as possible to their destination.

If what you are saying is that your odometer reads in Kilometers per hour and mine reads in miles per hour, who cares, we are both going the same speed!

To make a long story short, the INET times should be a little faster if they are on the same LAN and the extra 1 or 2 MS may be do to an extra router or firewall. The rest of those ping times show that Genesis is essentially on the same LAN as those ECNs.

nitro

#24     Jul 11, 2005
  5. hmap1

hmap1

Yes, the Genesis Inet pings are slow pings to my standards, but an average manual trader wouldn't see the diff. I couldn't live with those times. My times are better. That is what I was saying. There is a difference in ping times when hops are involved. Less hops equals shorter ping times. I know I don't have to explain that to you. :)

#25     Jul 11, 2005
  6. nitro

nitro

Well, you may be getting faster times to INET than 4 MS, but you are not getting faster times than the rest of those ping times to the other matching engines.

Even if you are getting faster ping times to INET, it is not because of anything you mentioned because the only way to get ping times of 4 MS or less is to be on the same LAN as the matching engine. All that means is that you bypassed a poorly configured router or firewall that Genesis has not.

nitro

#26     Jul 11, 2005
  7. hmap1

hmap1

My old locations in NYC used to get 2-3ms round trip pings to Island. And that was direct. as that time. Now is just better.

Its getting late! My main system autostarts at 5am and I go live at 7am. Time for bed!!!! :)

#27     Jul 11, 2005
  8. nitro

nitro

The only way you were getting 2-3 ms times was if your server was colocated on the same LAN as ISLD. A point to point connection would have been 3 times slower that that.

nitro

#28     Jul 11, 2005
  9. hmap1

hmap1

Ah, the old days when we traded out of great neck and made money. Oh, those times have gone with the latency! :)

#29     Jul 11, 2005