Genesis API and custom software

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by tntneo, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Nothing great or "multiple" whatsoever. Only Activex & dll crap to keep you chained to your OS masters.

#11     Apr 8, 2005
  2. I get it. Sorry. No harm done.
    I am not sure that I want Genesis to make a super easy api for everyone to use. I want to keep the advantage to myself.
    :)

I think you mentioned that too.

Shh. the secret is spreading.

All the best.

Happy weekend!

#12     Apr 8, 2005
  3. I just got a copy of the Simple api, "gtapib" which is very basic.. Also got a copy of the gtapi which appears to be c++/mfc/some other crap and I also got the gtapinet (dot net ) version which I was initially excited about and then realized it was simply wrapping to a native win32 dll, gtapi32.dll

I need linux support so I'm currently making it work using wine (www.winehq.com) by creating a libgtapi32.so which uses Wine to call loadlibrary and getprocaddress to load all the api functions. I am figuring out the method signatures by decompiling the dotnet wrapper gtapinet.dll.

So far so good.. I can initialize the library and at least initiate a connection it appears genesis doesn't allow connections after hours.. I can't even connect with Laser, it establishes a socket connection and simply hangs.

Anyone else using genesis able to connect afterhours, sdk or laser?

#13     Apr 8, 2005
  4. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

that's one of the challenges with this API. you usually can't connect to the servers after 5 or 6 pm and not during week ends.

it would be nice to have a test server always available.

#14     Apr 9, 2005
  5. Hi Stephen,

Excellent idea! Please, keep telling about how you get on with this.

Did you ever give it some thought on how to do the same with TT's X-trader API? Do you think this will work with the tibco stuff in it?

Be good,
    nononsense

#15     Apr 9, 2005
  6. I'm not familiar with X-Trader.. can you tell me where to find the API? I could take a quick look and see if it is possible.

Also, can you tell me if you are able to login to genesis with Laser after hours? It hangs during login with me.. establishes a socket connection but that's it.

#16     Apr 9, 2005
  7. PM'd you

#17     Apr 9, 2005
  8. Interesting thread that I wanted to bump.

Any updates on the api situation?

#18     Jun 26, 2005
  9. Not really, I gave up and switched to Redsky. Genesis's api turned out to be too dependent on win32, mfc, etc.

--Stephen

#19     Jun 27, 2005
  10. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

That's true. however, it also means it is a very fast API not using layers and layers of 'frameworks' slowing down execution.
    I still code for IB and Genesis (and soon Xtrader, so I will tell you more about it later). Genesis full API is complex but so powerful. IB API is a little more mature for remote traders. For instance it is more resilient to internet disruptions. Genesis is very sensitive to disconnects and will not tell you that you are disconnected. So I have to add extra support for this in my robots using Genesis.
    Now that's not a big issue anymore (used to be the same thing for IB, for those who remember).

anyway, win32 yes, mfc yes, but one can build an extra layer (com, .net or other) if you want to. but if you want to keep things as lean and mean as possible, I like Genesis approach very much.

#20     Jun 27, 2005