General purpose languages with excel-like syntax and not obsessive compulsive about white space?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by bookish, May 29, 2018.

1. bookish

bookish

Any?

2. Python

EDIT:
    White space should be easy to avoid. It makes the code easier to read when there is no excessive white space.

bookish likes this.
  3. truetype

truetype

What's "Excel-like syntax"? You mean VBA?

4. bookish

bookish

if(a,then b,else c)

I might have that wrong. I haven't done an excel in a while. I think you get the idea though.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  5. userque

userque

Many languages are close enough, imo. I'm not aware of any language that would be the equivalent to Excel cell formulas.

My suggestion is to go through each language and see for yourself, as what another may consider 'close' may not be what you consider to be 'close.'

Here's a list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General-purpose_programming_language

Then:
    Code:
    For Each language
        Google Search thatLanguage & " cheatsheet"
        Examine a cheatsheet
        If thisCheatsheet is satisfactory Then
            Bookmark thisCheatsheet
        Endif
    Next language
    An example cheatsheet:
    https://devhints.io/go

Keep us posted!

bookish likes this.
  6. Peter8519

Peter8519

Since you brought up Excel, maybe it's due to its limitation ?

I used to use Excel to keep track of trending stocks. But Excel VBA is very slow and almost impossible to run multi-thread. Then I chanced upon perl and Win32::OLE and I am no longer bottleneck by Excel VBA. I can run multiple perl programs at the same time and update data to Excel spreadsheet at the same time. It will take some time to learn the perl and Excel interface. But I am sure that there other programming languages that are able to manipulate Excel spreadsheet. Not just perl.

bookish likes this.
  7. bookish

bookish

Cool. Actually it has almost nothing to do with excel. I just like that style.

8. userque

userque

I assume you don't code much?

You can reduce statement blocks to 'excel-like-one-liners' in many languages, if you like. But why would you, is the real question. It hurts readability and adds difficulty to making modifications. :(

9. This looks very much like Java.

10. bookish

bookish

Well, thats the point. For me it improves readability. I like it one 'statement' per line if possible, if its too big for that then I'll break it up if I have to.

#10     May 30, 2018