General IB questions

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by 10Kaday, May 26, 2008.

1. 10Kaday

10Kaday

Just started testing IB's TWS. Wanted to ask the wizards here some queries.

How do I see the Nyse and Amex MoC notifications. I have the Reuters news feed that package with it but I can't figure it out there. Any thoughts?

Is there a quick button way to program in a scaling order ...say every 10 cents on a price level for 3 levels down or something like that where i don't have to keep clcking in the damn price by hand?

Does anybody run some of the software against on IB for automated trading. In particular...comments on Buttontrader, Ninjatrader interfacing.

Is it just me or does the software crash on the open or busy days like Fed announcements etc. I have a new extremely fast computer custom built for algo trading, a top of the line connection speed, and bloody IB crashes at least 2/week on me ...total data freeze up. It usually occurs, once I bring up a new 15 min chart with line/tick data. I've been on the system now testing out its front end and capabilities, I like it overall, but have some concerns over data crashes and their customer service to fix it when it does. Comments...??

Also, i'm sure I've just missed this feature somewhere, but how do I get rolling/streaming time of sales...like a one stock ticker?

What are traders' overall opinion on Interactive brokers and any other issues you guys have had.

Really appreciate your help.

2. rwk

rwk

IB sometimes has software quality issues that seem to come in waves. I have been trading there for about 5 1/2 years now, and I have learned not to be too eager to upgrade the TWS or API. I used to be a programmer, so I write my own software to access the API, and I use automation a lot.

3. I called IB customer disservice department and they told me there is NO streaming time/sales. Oh, shit, I just told a truth about IB. I am sure the IB paid posters will attack me.:(

4. I'm running TWS on a 4 year old computer with XP Home and never had TWS crash on me. Currently running TWS 882.2 with Java JRE 1.6.0_02. Only problems I have ever had with data is when the IB data servers have problems.

The IB charts are not very good. The best option is to use QuoteTracker for charting. QuoteTracker has a single symbol streaming time and sales window that can brought up on each chart.

5. IB doesn't want to admit that their charts and tools are not very good and that a third party application like QuoteTracker does what they don't. The best option is to use QuoteTracker for charting. QuoteTracker has a single symbol streaming time and sales window that can brought up on each chart.

Note: IB does not pay me, I pay them.

6. Bob111

Bob111

there is no notifications. but there is audit trial option in TWS,which will show you(on top of order status) that your order is accepted by exchange(assuming you know the rules)-

http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/trading/orders/moc.php

most likely it's just you.
    play with different java and TWS versions-

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126554&highlight=TWS+standalone

PM me, if you need old stand alone versions.
    IB's charts sucks and there is no rolling T&S window(Like in MB trading platform). so as been said-stick with QT

7. Gyles

Gyles