General Electric - new position

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Palindrome, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Palindrome

Palindrome

bought ge 11.75

up up and away

The way I calculate it, we should be within about 5% of a nice looking low. Not sure how high it climbs, but it should move nice.

I mostly trade futures.

The last call I made on an Equity was ENDP at 5.80. I don't make Equity calls often.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  2. Cuddles

Cuddles

Bought it months ago, nothing but pain

tommcginnis and JesseJamesFinn1 like this.
  3. GE is absolutely cheap at 11.75 but it may go down to 10ish levels before it reverses.

tommcginnis likes this.
  4. maxinger

maxinger

Those who shorted one year ago should be laughing all the way to the bank.

tommcginnis and Cuddles like this.
  5. One can play anything that seems reasonable... with a stop.

Personally, I don't like this play... violates the principle of "not buying a stock in a down trend".

The place to "take a stab at the bottom" looks like ~$5 if it gets there... or when the decline appears to have put in a possible technical bottom.

6. I thought the same thing when it was trading at $19. I fought it all the way down to $14 selling calls...lost money doing even that. The trade thesis was competent management running easily profitable arms, freed from the burden of the dividend....well...that was at $19.

tommcginnis likes this.
  7. maxinger

maxinger

Yesterday volume was one of the highest at 150 milllion.
    The down momentum is simply far too strong.
    There are simply too many desperate people trying to let go GE.

My impression all along over the past few decades was that GE was a solid blue chip.

Cuddles likes this.
  8. When a stock is selling in a downtrend, you're probably not going to know "all the reasons"... let alone the "unreasonable" ones. And "volume"? FUGGETABOUTIT! Anything you think you might learn from volume, you could/should have learned sooner from price.

9. You're kidding, right? Losing 35% over the last 20 years is "solid blue chip" performance?

Goes to show... "There are no growth companies... only growth periods."

GE.PNG

vanzandt likes this.
  10. Well, don't handicap it by starting your chart in 1999. It's not a good chart by any standards, but that's a terrible "baseline" to match the context of the chart with reality.

#10     Sep 25, 2018