general background for this board ????

Discussion in 'Trading' started by andrasnm, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Well, I have to say that I am in a "really good point" in my life. I enjoy the trading and seriously enjoy the teaching that I do (general college courses on trading, not just our trading school). I've had "bumps" in the road, jjust like most of us, but have been fortunate to have them smoothed out somewhat with the help of family and friends over the years.....and I sincerely try to "pay it forward" when I can.

I'm hoping to do more traveling, and to see BT continue to grow for several more years to come. I'm busier now than I have ever been, but feel good (the new heart valve helps...lol), and I try to stay mentally "nimble" by sparring with my friends on ET from time to time.

I'm 52, and think I'm good for another few years before going out to pasture (much to the "chagrin" of some others around here) :D

I do look forward to my son finally growing up (he's 21, still got some growing up to do, however...:) ), and seeing my grand daughter grow up (she'll probably beat my son, he he!)...

Anyway, I too, would like to see what others are planning on doing (besides trading, which is enough passion all by itself for many of us)...

Don

#121     Oct 17, 2002
  2. breezy1

breezy1

Hi, Where do you teach "general college courses on trading":confused:

#122     Oct 17, 2002
  3. My brother and I lecture at UNLV (Las Vegas), and teach a 5 week class, 3 times a year at the Community College of Southern Nevada. We also have Internship programs at several major Universities around the Country (UCLA, BYU, among others).

These courses are broader in nature than our trading classes.....trying to "give something back" to the Community.....heck when I realized that most "stock market classes" were taught by retail brokers, I figured the students could use a dose of reality.....we have completely filled every class for the last 3 years, which I think is great.....and fun!!

Don

In fact, tonight's college class is a 2 hour study into Options and Futures (pricing, valuations, techniques and tactics). We cover a lot of history of the market, exchanges, floor trading, and I bring in Earl and my brother and a couple of other (much younger) traders to round out the class...

#123     Oct 17, 2002
  4. rs7

rs7

Interesting you guys think 56 is so old.

#124     Oct 17, 2002
  5. DT-waw

DT-waw

Andy, thanks for explanation. I like your signature. It looks illogical when you read it first. Even if you analyze the sentence - it also looks irrational! Like Homer Simpson picture I attached. It doesn't make any sense here. But maybe it has some secret meaning? :D

Don: thanks for the answer. I think we all should find the appropriate balance between dharma, artha and kama. Japanese people tend to work too much, maybe some of us think about trading too much ( I do... and that's not good, but I slowly change my lifestyle into less "trading-related"... )

Anyway, speaking of this board and people posting here: this is a special place. Beginners can learn a lot about trading from experienced traders. Just like proposed cool ET tagline says: "Liquid market for volatile ideas"!

#125     Oct 17, 2002
  6. breezy1

breezy1

I agree wholeheartedly with the statement that this web site has been extremely helpful. I am the greenest of the green and have gotten more out of Elite than I have from the 6 or so books I have read. I have sent for the Pristine Master Trader book and will tackle that next, but for current info and ideas about trading, brokers, charts, stocks to watch etc, this da place.:cool:

#126     Oct 17, 2002
  7. acrary

acrary

In the trading world it's ancient! I retired last year at 45 and was by far the old man on the desk. Most guys that have made $1.98 retire by 30. As my old boss said, "We like traders that are young, smart, poor, and hungry."

Don: Travel is not as appealing as the dream. I hired our travel agent to create a 7 week dream tour of the world last year. By the end we had more than enough of seeing the world.

#127     Oct 17, 2002
  8. Donkell

Donkell

Originally posted by rs7

Interesting you guys think 56 is so old.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rs7, I'll take some heat of you in the old age category.

Just turned 60

investing/trading about 7 years
    daytrading around 3 (use Cybertrader)
    still married, only one time
    3 kids
    live in CA
    raised in the midwest
    didn't finish college (enough credits but not all in the same place)
    served in the Army( active member when Kennedy was President and assassinated)
    no plans to quit trading.
    Retired from law enforcement
    Since so many loose money at trading not sure being in 20's or recent grad is much help. (think it takes more)
    That's about it, or all I can think of that anyone cares about, I think I answered the main questions

#128     Oct 17, 2002
  9. mdmbud

mdmbud

How long has this board been around?

#129     Oct 17, 2002
  10. rs7

rs7

I am not even close to being "ancient" where I trade. I would say the median age is above 40.

We had hired several traders under 25. The thinking was they would trade with no fear. And they did. To them it was a video game. They made and lost money with no consistency. Big problems with discipline.

Now there is not a single trader under 30.

Having said this, I admit no one seems to be knocking them dead trading in recent months. But surviving is an accomplishment. And this is achieved with discipline. A lot to be said for maturity.

I too am considering "retiring" from trading. At least on a full time basis. My financial responsibilities are taken care of. I will most likely go back into teaching next fall. I taught to get a draft deferment in the late 60's. Now I will do it for the enjoyment, and as Don said, "to give something back".

#130     Oct 17, 2002