Gekko, can you prove...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Malestrom, Feb 25, 2004.

1. ahhh ok

define "killing" and "wrong" please.

and what do you mean when you say "man".

does this include woman?

:)

#11     Feb 26, 2004
  2. 24 suks

#12     Feb 26, 2004
  3. and some laws...

My reply: Laws are interpretations, or laws use interpretations of words to suit the purpose of a law.

#13     Feb 26, 2004
  4. Turok

Turok

Aphex:
    >I think Malestrom's question is perfectly legit.

Me too...it just can't be answered in anything other than a relative way until there is more specific definition.

>We can even rid ourselves of the problem of defining
    >morality by just asking the question, "Gordon, why is
    >killing another man wrong?"

As LS points out, we have rid our selves of nothing with your modification...we have just traded one relative term (morally wrong) for another (wrong).

Let's be clear, I'd be happy to answer the question according to MY definition of "morally wrong" or "wrong". It's not a hard question for me. I am not however the one who asked the question and if answering for him still assume that he would like me to stick to *his* definition of the term.

JB

#14     Feb 26, 2004
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

there u go then....break some of them and you will find out it doesn't matter what ur interpretation is...go ahead try it....

#15     Feb 26, 2004
  6. aahhh "worng".

hmm thats a toughie

:p

#16     Feb 26, 2004
  7. This is funny stuff. Is it not enough to simply "feel" that it is "wrong" to take anothers life -- we have to know on some intellectual level or worst yet have a doctrine tell us that it is a sin and we will suffer eternal damnation?

For a long time as a kid I always wondered why people talked so much, after the ET chit-chat forums it has become quite apparent that you people talk so much because you don't want to THINK. If nothing else, at least that old myth of a 1,000,000 monkeys all banging keys will somehow turn out the entire volume of all Shakesperes works has been debunked!

#17     Feb 26, 2004
  8. Fair enough. Let me translate the question into the following:

Setting aside laws of the state and assuming no punishment from the state will result when killing another man, why should a man refrain from killing another man?

I'm just going to remove the issue of morality unless Gekko chooses to bring it up himself.

I'm curious to see, absent of laws, what type of morality he will use to answer this question. Since he is the one answering, he may elaborate on what "atheist morality in absence of fear of retribution" means.

Is this legit?

#18     Feb 26, 2004
  9. oohh this is gonna get good now..

i will answer this with another Q: why should he kill another?

if i see an ant on the sidewalk, should i step on it? why?

#19     Feb 26, 2004
  10. Speaking of Shakespeare, let me leave you with this quote:

QUEEN GERTRUDE: More matter, with less art.

#20     Feb 26, 2004