Geithner : Americans are "going to have to go back to living within our means."

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ASusilovic, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Doesn't than make his "means" greater?

#11     Jul 29, 2009
  2. Exactly that. The US has a huge reservoir of "unused tax hikes" compared to the UK and Europe.

That will enable the US to pay the interest on all the debt they're issuing now, at least for a while.

#12     Jul 29, 2009
  3. Daal

Daal

Funny thing is, if he is right he wont be on that job for long

#13     Jul 29, 2009
  4. +1

#14     Jul 29, 2009
  5. TGregg

TGregg

Not really. You have to learn to interprete political speech. In this context

Means get ready for a poor America as taxes, unemployment, federal debt and inflation soars. And it's all the fault of the taxcuts, which required multiple trillion dollar bailouts.

#15     Jul 29, 2009
  6. Just default already and move on.

#16     Jul 29, 2009
  7. Oh, well, gee....now Tiny Tim has totally confused me.

Aren't they trying to get the consumer to consume and for government to spend spend spend because Keynes insists that's the only way to blow out of a recession? They've totally distorted even keynes, but never mind. And who's this "we" he keeps talking about? Does he have a mouse in his pocket?

BTW, with increased taxation and more regulation your "means" are about to get real small. So, Tiny Tim and his Papa Bear at the Fed, along with the Obamessiah at the helm are hoping y'all can all get used to living within the same means your grandparents had.

#17     Jul 29, 2009
  8. All of this mess MIGHT have been avoided.. but certainly posponed by decades... had not Congress decided to disobey the 1987 "Gramm-Rudman-Hollings" bill which was signed into law and mandated a balanced budget.

The law was never repealed. Just intentionally disobeyed... guess if you're the government you don't have to obey the law any time it ceases to be fun. :mad:

#18     Jul 29, 2009
  9. Humpy

Humpy

Americans are "going to have to go back to living within our means."

Does that mean no more triple helpings of French fries and extra big Macs ?

Oh Lordy whats the world coming to ?

I'se nearly down to me last billion

:D

#19     Jul 29, 2009
  10. I'm sure it hasn't escaped your notice that congress believes itself to be above the people of the United States (different rules for their health care than for ours), above the law and certainly well above the constitution.

When will Americans wake up from the drugs of redistribution of income and realize that they have just been temporarily pacified by their congressional overlords as they shredded the constitution and consolidated power over the people as they sucked on "free" government candy?

When it's too late.

#20     Jul 29, 2009