Geico Auto Insurance Won't Play Fair

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jinxu, May 26, 2013.

1. jinxu

jinxu

Sure, go ahead.

I'm not sure if this was a question. But the car is a year old. It's a 2012. I brought it brand new. There's only 10,000 miles on it.

I felt like the adjuster rushed the whole thing and ignored the damages I was pointing out. What makes it suspicious is that he allowed PDR for the other panels: hood, side door, fender, etc. All of which are under $150. He underestimated the hood btw. But then left out the repair for the roof which has the most hail and would cost $1000.

#11     May 27, 2013
  2. Wallet

Wallet

Take your car to the repair shop of your choice, find a good one. Let the shop know your concerns and how the car was damaged i.e. Tornado, make sure your on the same page with the shop about what all needs repaired, scratches etc.... they will make the supplement request for the additional money.

99% of the time that's all that's needed.

#12     May 27, 2013
  3. jinxu

jinxu

Yeah, i don't want to do that. The value is already shot so right now I just want my check. My understanding is that the insurance has to pay up and the money is mine to do as i wish.

And im aware of the rumors that geico will pressure shops to take shortcuts and half-ass jobs with supplements.

So, i got a hold of the adjuster. He basically said he wont do a second estimate. What I want to know is why he want to ask if im gonna get it fixed and say he wont write a bigger check because he doesn't know if ill use the money or not?

What's his motive? Is there some legal reason?

#13     May 27, 2013
  4. jinxu

jinxu

Just called again and ask for his supervisor phone number. He say he doesn't know it. Is this odd?

#14     May 27, 2013
  5. They think you are going to get estimates that are too high and pocket the check and not do the repairs.

Just get two estimates (or 3) and send them to them. Sue them in small claims court if they will not pay.

#15     May 27, 2013
  6. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

At this point, you need to document the time and the content of every phone call completely.

The next step is calling the state insurance commissioner's office.

The next step after this is hiring a lawyer.

Documentation is key to resolving this issue.

BTW... IMO Geico is one of the worst insurance companies out there when it comes to claims. I would never have Geico as my insurance company.

#16     May 27, 2013
  7. jinxu

jinxu

Haha. Tell me about it.

I called the adjuster one last time. This is what he said.

He said he will look into it again but on the condition that any addition is a supplement that goes towards repair.

I told him that isn't acceptable and he accused me of only wanting a check. I told him that check is for me to do with whatever I want. Then me make some case that isn't true and the money is by law only for repair. And is also by my bank's rule due the requirement of my lien.

I told him that my bank already gave me the okay that I can put the check towards my loan and would not need to get repair if I choose not to. He told me again that he cannot give me more money if it isn't for repair and it is by law that the money has to go towards repair.

And last he asked me if I can prove that he incorrectly did the adjustment. The other estimate was for $9000, he gave $3000 and left things off the estimate.

Can anyone tell me if he's B.S.ing me? Especially about the money needing to go to repair by law because I heard elsewhere that the money is for me to do with whatever I please.

#17     May 27, 2013
  8. #18     May 27, 2013
  9. TGregg

TGregg

File a complaint with bbb.org

#19     May 27, 2013
  10. Wallet

Wallet

Like I said in my original response, insurance companies will not write a full value estimate because they know about a third of their insureds will not fix their vehicles. The only way they will pay full value for repairs is to have the car fixed. Take the car to an independent shop, not a pro shop for the insurance company, that way the repairing facility isn't in bed with your insurance company, quality of repairs will be much higher.

If you financed your car a year ago, still making payments then what ever settlement check you receive will be made to both you and the bank holding the lien.

If your just trying to pocket the money, good luck fighting the insurance company, they have lawyers on payroll.

Fix your car, pay your deductible and go on it isn't worth the time waisted.

#20     May 27, 2013