GE Receives 10,000 Applications in 3 Days For 90 Factory Jobs Paying $13 An Hour

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Green shoots!

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...6/GE++10+000+applications+for+90+factory+jobs

GE: 10,000 applications for 90 factory jobs

By Jere Downs • jdowns@courier-journal.com • October 8, 2009

Job seekers filed 10,000 applications over three days with General Electric for 90 openings paying about $27,000 a year building washing machines, General Electric spokeswoman Kim Freeman said Thursday.

GE advertised the jobs Sunday, and began accepting applications and resumes solely via a company website Monday. Wednesday was the deadline, she said.

GE announced last week it would hire additional workers in a new second shift later this fall to assemble Energy Star washing machines in Building 1 at the historic Louisville complex.

Union president Jerry Carney, of IUE-CWA Local 761, representing Appliance Park workers, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

The hourly wage for the jobs is $13, but the same positions paid a starting wage of about $19 per hour just four years ago, Freeman added, before GE and its largest union first agreed to wage cuts negotiated to prevent closure of Appliance Park.

“People still value these jobs,” Freeman said.

The unemployment rate in Jefferson County was 10.6 percent in August, the most recent data available. Statewide, Kentucky’s rate was 11.1 percent and Indiana’s was 9.9 percent.

Promised roughly 100 additional jobs last May, Local 761 members agreed to freeze current wages until 2011 and approved the new, lower pay scale for new hires.

GE employs roughly 2,100 hourly and 2,000 white collar workers at Appliance Park. Now, about 440 workers labor on the first shift on washing machines in Building 1.

Reporter Jere Downs can be reached at (502) 582-4669.

2. The Government reports the average hourly wage currently at $18.87*. Good luck finding new jobs paying that or more in any significant number...

*Wouldn't doubt this number includes executives and such making $10,000/hr and more.

I suspect the "MEDIAN hourly wage" would be more properly reflective of workers earnings.

3. zdreg

zdreg

not everybody can work for the gov't. u are better off being a postman if u could get the job.

4. How exactly is this news? It's Kentucky and it's a job for the degenerates, the non educated types.

It's unfathomable to even consider socializing with these degenerates, but why bother citing any news regarding these people?

5. aegis

aegis

There aren't many jobs left for the educated types either. I'll bet that a good percentage of the people applying for these jobs actually have a degree.

BTW, 75% of the population in the US do not have a bachelors degree. You believe that 225+ million American people are degenerates?

Moron.

6. Part of what made for a large and affluent middle class in America was (1) some with a HS education could get a well-paying job at the local plant or mill, and (2) it took only a BS or BA to get a decent well-paying service or management job.

Not the case any more.

7. zdreg

zdreg

"socializing with these degenerates"
    i bet if she wiggles her ass the right way the saliva will come out of your mouth like a waterfall.

an honest day's labor can only reflect favorably on a person's character.

8. MattF

MattF

Because this goes on in a lot of places.

Northeast where I am is mostly these service-sector/lower paying jobs. Many actually pay less then this, but applications come in droves for the few positions "available."

I applied for kicks last year to a STATE paying social service worker position. 4 positions were opening in my immediate area...100+ applications received. Pay was I believe around $25K/year, give or take a bit.

Several years ago, I tried a Verizon position as a 411 operator up north a ways; boy was that an eye-opener in and of itself. Quit after a week. Starting was around 7.65 then "prorated" to 12ish after 5 years. The amount of people who applied for these positions (just a few were accepted) was mind boggling. They went through several rounds of testing, much of it was basic aptitude math and comprehension. Most couldn't even complete the basic math portion who applied. Nearly 3 years after I quit, the office closed and people either had to go further out to another place or they were out of work.

Went to a new Walmart store opening probably about 3-4 years ago; first day the application place was overloaded with applicants...many were just trash by looking at them; no skills, no aptitude, no reason to improve their life, nothing...all they wanted was a "job."

GE here is merely hiring because of this "cash for appliances" government program...expected to ramp up production. Come back in a year or two (when the wage freeze "ends") and see how many of these positions get cut when that incentive runs out. They might as well just advertise them as "full-time temporary" positions...doesn't matter what you call them now anyway, droves of people are going to apply for them.

I've said it before I think the average ratio of applicants to jobs overall is about 20-25:1 - with stuff like this clearly it's a crap load higher.

9. Household data, table 4A.
    BLS

Unemployment rate is 4.9% among those with a Bachelor's degree or higher which is just a tenth of a percentage point higher than the 4.8% measure from May. I would even bet that if one were to remove the unemployed that are financial services related, the unemployment rate of this category is about a full percentage point lower. Ya, theres no more jobs left for the educated types. lmao.

You should try looking something up before speaking.

10. aegis

aegis

Perhaps I should have stated that decent paying jobs for those with degrees are few and far between.

What's the unemployment rate for recent college grads? Just because the unemployment rate is 4.9% doesn't mean they're making much money. How many 20-somethings with degrees are working at Wal-Mart as cashiers?

#10     Oct 8, 2009