Gay marriage and polygamy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pekelo, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Did I just read someone comparing what Hitler did to gay marriage??

Yes, I did. OK, we all have opinions and our own perception.

I believe that a lot of straight men don't fundamentally understand gay males, at least their sexuality.

Gay males feel the sexual feeling for other men just as straight men get really turned on by a hot woman. Its that simple, on a sexual level.

Then there is the LOVE element. If two gay men who are in love with each other, and have sex with each other and want to be partners in life together, then I feel it is OK and fair and just that they receive equal legal benefits than straight married couples. It is very simple to me.

Plenty of studies have shown that kids reared by homosexual parents are no worse off socially, intellectually, and emotionally than their peers reared by straight parents. Its all about the love.

Not giving gay couples equal protection under the law is like giving a killer less of a sentence because the person who was murdered was gay. Its all about equality.

#11     Aug 22, 2006
  2. jem

jem

no no no. i did not compare hitler to gay marriage.

you saw zzz employing a chessy rhetorical device and I countered by pointing out that a change is not always good.

Just ask nazi germany and communist russia.

However one thing you can see from zzz examples is that when the change is good it is lead by conservatives..

Conservatives and many republicans led the civil rights movement and they were also prominent in the womens right to vote movement.

On other threads I have pointed out that many of the leaders of the civil rights movement were conservatives like new gingrich and the antagonists were well known democrats.

#12     Aug 22, 2006
  3. Conservatives and fundamentalists have resisted any and all positive changes in society, that is their nature.

That's why they are the regressive party, trying to maintain the status quo, even if the status quo is discriminatory in its practices.

#13     Aug 22, 2006
  4. jem

jem

you see liberals do not mind lying about history. it is the only way they get people to believe their non fact based view of the world.

zzz you know damn well there were conservatives like newt gingrich leading the charge for civil rights. we have discussed this before.

#14     Aug 22, 2006
  5. Oh yeah, plenty of Barry Goldwater real republicans of that day marched with Dr. King.

You need to take some senility medicine....

#15     Aug 22, 2006
  6. This is an outright lie. Newt Gingrich was a college student from 1961 to 1965, and a graduate student from 1966 to 1971. He was not involved in the civil rights movement in any significant way, if at all.

#16     Aug 22, 2006
  7. You're just lying through your teeth. Name those "conservatives" who were civil rights leaders. Newt Gingrich was in college and was not known to be involved.

BTW, those "antagonists" democrats were people like Strom Thurman, Jesse Helms, and Richard Shelby. Guess whose party they eventually ended up with.

#17     Aug 22, 2006
  8. jem

jem

#18     Aug 23, 2006
  9. This is a joke, right? Trent Lott was a democrat at the time. He was one of those "antagonist" democrats who later switched party. From that article that you linked, you can read "You would be hard-pressed to find a single Republican in any Southern school of that era." Guess who were pushing for civil rights (JFK, LBJ) and who were opposed (Thurmond, Helms)? Do you see a pattern here?

You haven't answered the question. Name those "conservatives" who were also civil rights leaders as you claimed. You didn't really believe that northern Republicans (those who worked with LBJ to pass the civil rights act) were "conservatives," did you?

#19     Aug 23, 2006
  10. The conservatives use the floodgate argument all the time as an excuse against allowing civil unions aka gay marriage. Just because you make one reasonable change to the law doesn't mean you have to make any other changes.

All we want is the same treatment that straight married couples get. One man married to one woman. Or one man married to another man. Nowhere (except maybe in Utah) do marriage laws allow marriages between more than 2 persons.

Traveler

#20     Aug 23, 2006