Gateway FX 540 with the new XHD3000 Display. Is it Quiet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jpatet, Feb 3, 2008.

1. jpatet

jpatet

I want a new system. I prefer a name brand such as Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. I’ll be using it for an occasional Blu-Ray HD movie, along with general computing. I was going to get the Dell XPS 420 with a 30-inch display and the high-end graphics card. Then I saw the Gateway XHD3000 30-Inch Extreme HD Display touted as 1600p. The Gateway display looks superior to even the new Dell 3008WFP for HD movies, so now I’m considering getting everything from Gateway. However I need a quiet machine. The Dell has a reputation for being quiet, typically configured about 32 db, but I know nothing and can’t find anything about the Gateway’s noise level. And neither can their own technical support; at least the one I asked. Do you agree that Gateway’s display is better than Dell’s for Blu-Ray? Is the Gateway machine quiet? Solid information about any of this would be greatly appreciated.

2. jpatet

jpatet

I found this site and decided not to by Gateway’s XHD3000 monitor or anything else from Gateway. Take a look if you are considering buying that well-endowed 30-inch monitor they have:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Gateway

I decided to wait for the new NEC 30-inch LCD 3090WQXi to come out later this month and I’ll likely link it with something from endpcnoise.com.