Gates Fires Gen. David McKiernan

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Landis82, May 11, 2009.

1. McKiernan out in Afghanistan.
    Lt. Gen. Stanley McChrystal is in.

By PAULINE JELINEK and ANNE GEARAN, Associated Press Writers Pauline Jelinek And Anne Gearan, Associated Press Writers – 25 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Defense Secretary Robert Gates fired the commander of the Afghanistan war Monday, saying the Obama administration needed "fresh thinking" to turn around the war against a resurgent Taliban. Gen. David McKiernan was replaced after less than a year in the job. The new commander will be Lt. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, also an Army officer but with experience as a leader of special forces. McKiernan has a more conventional background.

"Today we have a new policy set by our new president. We have a new strategy, a new mission and a new ambassador. I believe that new military leadership also is needed," Gates said at a news conference.

McKiernan issued a short statement saying his time in Afghanistan made him proud to be an American soldier.

"All of us, in any future capacity, must remain committed to the great people of Afghanistan," he said.

McKiernan's exit comes as more than 21,000 additional U.S. forces begin to arrive in Afghanistan, dispatched by Obama to confront the Taliban more forcefully this spring and summer. Despite seven years of effort by the U.S. and allies, Afghanistan remains a battleground with an unstable government, flourishing opium trade and suicide attacks by supporters of al-Qaida.

Monday's announcement came a week after Afghan civilians were killed during a battle between militants and U.S. forces.

Afghan officials say up to 147 people may have died in the battle in Farah, though the U.S. says that number is exaggerated.

The U.S. on Saturday blamed Taliban militants for causing the deaths by using villagers as human shields in hopes they would be killed. A preliminary U.S. report did not say how many people died in the battle.

Gates said McChrystal, now a senior administrator with the Joint Chiefs of Staff, would be nominated for the top job in Afghanistan and that Lt. Gen. David M. Rodriguez would become McChrystal's deputy. The defense secretary urged the Senate to confirm the two quickly.

Obama approved 17,000 additional combat forces for Afghanistan this year, plus 4,000 trainers and other noncombat troops. By year's end, the United States will have more than 68,000 troops in the sprawling country — about double the total at the end of George W. Bush's presidency but still far fewer than the 130,000 still in Iraq.

McKiernan and other U.S. commanders have said resources they need in Afghanistan are tied up in Iraq.

Asked if McKiernan's resignation ends his military career, Gates said, "Probably."

Gates visited Afghanistan last week to see firsthand what preparations and plans were under way to set the president's counterinsurgency strategy in motion.

"As I have said many times before, very few of these problems can be solved by military means alone," Gates said Monday. "And yet, from the military perspective, we can and must do better."

He indicated that the Afghan campaign had long lacked the people and money needed in favor of the Bush administration's focus since 2003 on the Iraq war.

"But I believe, resources or no, that our mission there requires new thinking and new approaches from our military leaders," Gates said.

In June 2006 McChrystal was congratulated by then-President Bush for his role in the operation that killed Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al-Qaida in Iraq. As head of the special operations command, his forces included the Army's clandestine counterterrorism unit, Delta Force.

McChrystal came under fire for his role in the furor surrounding the friendly fire shooting of Army Ranger Pat Tillman — a former NFL star — in Afghanistan. An investigation at the time found that he was "accountable for the inaccurate and misleading assertions" contained in papers recommending that Tillman get a Silver Star award.

McChrystal acknowledged he had suspected several days before approving the Silver Star citation that Tillman may have died from friendly fire rather than enemy bullets. He sent a memo to military leaders warning them of that, even as they were approving Tillman's Silver Star. He told investigators that he still believed Tillman deserved the award.

The Army overruled a Pentagon recommendation that McChrystal be held accountable.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_us_afghanistan

2. Landis....some these tools think we Won in Iraq and that we never even fought the Talibs in Aghanni.

I've long since quit wasting my time trying to educate.

You must remember that many in this forum that you dialog with were in the 6th-7th and 8th grade when this stuff started....Of course they have all the answers.

3. Lupus,

Yawn.

So, you've posted a nice article on how the Obama administration is escalating the war in Afghanistan. "Despite seven years of effort by the U.S. and allies, Afghanistan remains a battleground with an unstable government, flourishing opium trade and suicide attacks by supporters of al-Qaida." Hey what's another four more years between contractors, of tax payer $ . . .
    Wonderful, you must be very proud of your president and all the civilians he has killed there. Too bad about Gen. Betrayus (Isn't that what Moveon.org called him?) NOT being fired

Have a nice one, Nick

4. Thank you.

5. And Nickie Boy is one of them.

6. Douglas MacArthur was relieved of duty during Korean War by Truman so that is a bit later than WWII.

Anybody with half a brain would realize afghanistan is simply a worthless bunch of rocks and getting out of there should be top priority. bribe when necessary and try to contain taliban to afghanistan.

You would be surprised what some 20 year olds know.

7. That's what I thought too when I was in my 20's.

When you're in your 40's, you'll realize you didn't know shit from shinola.

8. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I don't know what the demographics are for Fox News, but I can tell you that the demographics for the Glenn Beck radio show do not bear out your assumption at all.
    The median Beck listener's household income is around $90,000 and they average 6 years of education beyond HS.
    I have this from the demographics package they give out to sponsors and advertisers since I'm doing some advertising in local markets that his show is on.
    Brandon

9. I don't care if you thought you were santa claus when you were in your 20s. You are not me and besides don't you have some evildoers to catch? Cheney says the country is less safe due to obama's policies.

#10     May 12, 2009