gastropod call - BIG BANK GOING DOWN SOON!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by gastropod, Aug 13, 2009.

1. I am NOT above mistakes...umm, but I don't believe I am mistaken here. Where does the reference above say that "anybody" can go to the Fed's windows? It is my understanding (and, yes, as hard as it is to believe, I am fallible ;-) ) I understand the above to mean that ONLY FDIC/FedRes aligned banks/cos. can go to the windows...including the secondary window. We are NOT talking about a "mom and pop" shop staying alive here! We are talking about a Corp. that needs about $500 Mil. to stay afloat for the next week or so - TO MEET PAYROLL!!! What - TAF, TALF, TLSF aren't enough???!!! Accessing the secondary window in years past would have been, umm, faux pas!!! TODAY?!?!?! - somebody is in REAL TROUBLE

http://www.bos.frb.org/economic/banknote/bn2002/bn1202.htm See the stuff about "stigma"

-gastropod

#11     Aug 13, 2009
  2. Secondary credit is available to depository institutions not eligible for primary credit. Secondary credit entails a higher level of administration.

Secondary credit is subject to a higher level of lending administration than primary credit. Examples of appropriate uses of secondary credit include:

Tight money markets or undue market volatility

Addressing an overnight overdraft

Meeting a need for backup funding, including a short-term liquidity demand

Inability to obtain funding from normal sources

To assist the primary regulator in prompt closure of a troubled institution.

http://www.frbdiscountwindow.org/programs.cfm?hdrID=14

#12     Aug 13, 2009
  3. Don't get in an uproar. You don't have to lecture me about the stigma of going to the discount window. Without saying more than I want, I will simply say that I know quite a bit about that.
    Quoting from my quote, note the following:

So, it says that institutions not eligible for the primary discount window can borrow from the secondary one. The really small guys go to the third one.
    So, this is not a really small guy, just someone not eligible for the primary window.
    What I was trying to hint at is that it wouldn't be a Fed member, but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be a small player. The GE guess was a pretty good one along those lines.
    Unless something more substantive comes out about this, we'll all be guessing.
    I'm pretty sure whoever this is will be able to sweep it under the rug, no pun intended, and we'll never find out.

#13     Aug 13, 2009
  4. ROFLMAO - hey, man - I get soo little chance to scoop the "big boys" that any chance I can get...I take ;-) No offense intended!!! I actually think this issue bares some attendance/watching.

-The stomach with feet - gastropod!

#14     Aug 13, 2009
  5. If this is a pos bank and such a large amount, I'd guess this might be a political move.

#15     Aug 13, 2009
  6. #16     Aug 14, 2009
  7. MattF

MattF

it IS FDIC Friday today...

#17     Aug 14, 2009

8. Bingo. This thread is pointless.

#18     Aug 14, 2009
  9. Daal

Daal

CIT had $75b in liabilities and it seems its failure would not be a big deal. $500m in liquidity needs is nothing

#19     Aug 14, 2009
  10. Perhaps it is Colonial Bank?

#20     Aug 14, 2009