Gasoline Prices Are Not Rising, the Dollar Is Falling

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DollarBondsCL, Feb 29, 2012.

1. not at all
    since everybody can comment and some people like this Martinghoul know nothing

#11     Mar 2, 2012
  2. I will take this as a compliment... Grazie!

#12     Mar 2, 2012
  3. piezoe

piezoe

Martinhoul is one of the more informed contributors to ET.

#13     Mar 2, 2012
  4. If that is so

Then why isn't he informed enough to see relationship between dollar devaluation and skyrocketing oil prices.
    He didn't even write down his view point, he only said "oh no not this again" like some mall teenager.

Is Martinghoul the best this site can offer?

Why didn't he at least make a pathetic attempt to blame China and India for driving up demand thus prices as the sole reason.

He didn't even try arguing. Perhaps because he knows he will be slaughtered here in public.

Made fool of.

#14     Mar 2, 2012
  5. Don't be a muppet, DBCL...

Look at the attached chart (DXY vs the 1st Brent contract). Do you see any particular relationship? Do you observe that this year DXY has gone down arnd 1.25%, while Brent moved the other way by roughly 11.5%? If you do a linear regression between the two (using changes, levels or whatever), you will observe a very low R^2.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

#15     Mar 2, 2012
  6. foo

foo

Because the story is a repost.....also this topic has been covered ad nasuseum here on ole' ET.

#16     Mar 2, 2012
  7. FCCT

FCCT

Is DXY a fair representation of the dollar? Isnt it a relative comparison against other currencies, and if all currencies were being "devalued" at a similar pace then it would be hard to see any relation.

#17     Mar 2, 2012
  8. Yes, DXY is a measure of USD vs a basket of other ccies. I don't really know how to measure USD in a way that wouldn't be relative to something else and, as such, potentially distorted. In which case what does "dollar devaluation" actually mean? At any rate, if you can suggest alternatives, pls do.

#18     Mar 2, 2012
  9. zdreg

zdreg

while I don't always agree with martinghoul's reasoning to say that he knows nothing is prima facie nonsense. he made an initial meaningless post on this thread. you extrapolated from 1 post which is an obvious error in logic. unfortunately, since you claim to be a princeton graduate one should ask are princeton's student deficient in logic. to ask that?would make me commit the same error as you.

#19     Mar 2, 2012
  10. Any publicity is "good" publicity! :cool:

#20     Mar 2, 2012