Gasoline heading to $3 and more

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by capmac, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Fohat

Fohat

For the lowest gas prices in US and Canada you can always check http://gasbuddy.com/
    Currently the lowest gas pricess seem to be in Utah ($2.11/gal) and Wyoming ($2.13/gal).

#31     Apr 12, 2006
  2. Spelunk

Spelunk

I would bet over the long run it is a waste to use fertilized land for fuel. Apparently a lot of the current fertilizer comes from oil. With the population of the world still rising I would bet people would prefer to eat than grow fuel.

#32     Apr 13, 2006
  3. MRWSM

MRWSM

It's good enough for the US Army, which uses hybrid Humvees which can travel 20 miles on electric power alone. Maintenance on the electric side of a hybrid should be little if any. Remember the EV1, the owners just loved the thing, just about no maintenance or repairs needed, just plug it in at night and go. Plug in hybrids are the way to go. Which manufacturer is going to be first to have a plug in hybrid E85 vehicle? Now that would be nice.

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/charge_across_america/charge_html/nimh_test2.html

#33     Apr 13, 2006
  4. 1000

5. smallfil

smallfil

mhashe,

I agree that oil prices will probably continue to be sky high. Aside from the threats from terrorists, increasing demand from China and India will probably push prices higher.
    The Athabasca Oil Sands in Canada has reserves equal to Saudi Arabia they say however, it may take a couple of years to ramp up production to Saudi levels.
    Bought some Western Oil Sands today on that expectation. Other huge oil companies are Shell and Chevron Texaco.
    Also, interesting is from the e-mail I got from Changewave Investing. Toby Smith said that China bought a lease on a portion of the oil sands for about C$495 million. I am looking at a couple of small cap stocks also involved with technology on extracting from heavy crude to make it more light to be more easily refined with less impurities.

#35     Apr 13, 2006
  6. smallfil

smallfil

>>>i would bet my house that if gore or kerry was in office gas prices would not be this high<<<

Kerry and Gore combined cannot control gas prices. As Americans we have to reduce consumption to reduce our imports which will reduce prices----fat chance of that happening any time real soon!!!
    As people complain and whine and cry, I see lots of people driving those 8 cylinder trucks and SUVs and racing out on the freeways----it is far easier to complain than to do something about any problem!!!
    I suggest a $0.50 gas tax to fund alternative sources of energy. Now, will people in the United States pay that extra $0.50 if it will bring about cheaper gas in the future? The politicians are not going to do it because they have to troll for votes the same thing with the current immigration bill. The people while, they say one thing----they will not sacrifice or even make an effort to conserve!!! When the oil shock comes----the same cry babies who are part of the problem will be crying again!!!

#36     Apr 13, 2006
  7. One of the better points so far. This is why farmers/ranchers are switching to "organic" chicken and beef.

So instead of using oil to make gasoline, we use it to make fertilizer in an attempt to produce enough E85 feedstock, AND we use up all our farm land. Great idea!:)

#37     Apr 13, 2006
  8. 20 miles isn't even close to far enough, and I don't think I buy into the low maintenance thing. As soon as fuel cells start malfunctioning there will be some pissed off people.

Plug in cars were such a big hit that they were around for a whole year. Show me a car that I have to plug in, and I'll show you a car that I (and most other Americans) wouldn't buy.

#38     Apr 13, 2006
  9. MRWSM

MRWSM

You don't have to plug it in, you can use it like a standard hybrid and get 25 to 55 MPG depending which vehicle. Or you have an option to plug it in at night and get 200 MPG or if the battery is advanced enough you might not even have to turn on the gas motor at all. It's your choice with a plug in hybrid. There are no fuel cells here, just an expensive battery that is rated for the life of the vehicle. Currently ALTI and EEEI working together to improve batteries and make this scenario even better.

#39     Apr 13, 2006
  10. How much amperage does it draw when you plug it in? And on the other hand, if the battery is that good, why not pair it with solar panels? Wouldn't that be much better than amping up your utility bill?

And then, if you're going to use solar... Why not make it solar/hydrogen hybrid so that you don't have to burn any alcohols?

#40     Apr 13, 2006