Gas prices have nation fuming

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, May 21, 2007.

1. Oil is an easily shipped commodity, as is gasoline, so it really doesn't matter where you are buying it from with relation to how that might affect price other than the shipping costs. Canada would be just as well off selling it to China or India for the same dollars.

The fact is that we are using silly amounts of fuel per person compared to the rest of the world, and buying it on credit which we never intend to repay. We'd be a lot better off long term living within our means.

#21     May 21, 2007
  2. hajimow

hajimow

Oil is up but that does not justify the current gas prices. Refineries are controlling the gas prices and not the exporting countries. It reminds me of Enron controlling the electricity in California and shutting down the generators to jack up the price.

#22     May 21, 2007
  3. That's because everyone is driving around in SUV's and monster trucks
    that are almost as big as the Semi's driving down the freeway.

#23     May 21, 2007
  4. Yes, oil is fungible.

That doesn't mean the media and political rhetoric about "lessening dependence on middle eastern oil" isn't hyperbole, and in fact, factually misleading.

#24     May 21, 2007
  5. How else are we going to get all the unnecesary shit we buy as a credit blowing, cosuming nation back to our over-sized McMansions?? Try to fit a couple of plasmas into a Cooper Mini.

#25     May 21, 2007

6. besides my $2,000 rims look stupid on a Prius.

#26     May 21, 2007
  7. There is plenty of oil. We need more refineries but everyone says: "not in my backyard." (I know, let's take our number one food source and make ethanol. Ya, that makes sense.)

Increasing the price at the pump thru taxes only hurts the lower and middle class. Then congressmen can grandstand and blame "big oil" just in time for the next election. They are real problem solvers aren't they, those congressmen.

#27     May 21, 2007
  8. Bob111

Bob111

there plenty of alternatives , besides tax at the pump and "challenging" ethanol idea. progressive taxation based on engine displacement and newest diesel technologies just couple of them.

#28     May 21, 2007