Garcinia Cambogia

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by vanzandt, Jun 20, 2018.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

Anybody ever hear of this stuff?
    I was talking to a guy I hadn't seen in awhile and he has dropped like 25 pounds. Swears it was because of taking this stuff.
    Just thought I'd throw it out there if any of you are trying to drop some weight. Who knows.
    Pek? Freddie? :D

Garcinia Cambogia: Safe for Weight Loss?
    In this Article

How It Works
    Type 2 Diabetes and High Cholesterol
    Possible Side Effects
    To Buy or Not to Buy

Garcinia cambogia, a tropical fruit also known as the Malabar tamarind, is a popular weight-loss supplement. People say it blocks your body's ability to make fat and it puts the brakes on your appetite. It could help keep blood sugar and cholesterol levels in check, too. You'll find it in bottles on the shelf at the store as well as mixed with other ingredients in diet products.

Does it live up to its hype? Maybe a little, but it might not be worth it.
    How It Works

The active ingredient in the fruit's rind, hydroxycitric acid, or HCA, has boosted fat-burning and cut back appetite in studies. It appears to block an enzyme called citrate lyase, which your body uses to make fat. It also raises levels of the brain chemical serotonin, which may make you feel less hungry.

But actual weight loss results aren't impressive. A review published in the Journal of Obesityfound that people who took garcinia cambogia in studies lost about 2 pounds more than people who didn't take it. The reviewers couldn't say for sure that the weight loss was because of the supplement. It could have been from the lower-calorie diet and exercise programs the people in the studies typically followed. Better studies are needed to find out if HCA really helps people lose a lot of weight and keep it off.
    Type 2 Diabetes and High Cholesterol

Garcinia cambogia may make it easier for your body to use glucose, the sugar your cells need for energy. Mice that got garcinia cambogia in one study had lower insulin levels than mice that didn't. That's another reason, besides weight loss, that people with diabetes are interested in it. However, if you're taking garcinia cambogia along with a medication to control your blood sugar, your glucose could get dangerously low.

Some research has found that garcinia cambogia can also improve cholesterol levels, lowering triglycerides and LDL (the "bad" cholesterol) and raising HDL (the "good" cholesterol). But you shouldn't use it if you're already on a prescription for your cholesterol.
    Continued
    Possible Side Effects

When you take garcinia cambogia, you might get:

Dizziness
    Dry mouth
    Headache
    Upset stomach or diarrhea

In 2009, the Food and Drug Administration warned everyone to stop using a weight-loss product that contained garcinia cambogia because some people taking it got serious liver problems. The product had other ingredients, too, so it's not clear that garcinia cambogia was to blame. While some research suggests the supplement is safe for your liver, other research says no.

Garcinia cambogia may interact badly with:

Asthma and allergy medicines such as Accolate and Singulair
    Diabetes medicines, including pills and insulin
    Iron, for anemia
    Pain medicines
    Prescriptions for psychiatric conditions
    Statins, drugs that lower cholesterol
    Warfarin, a blood thinner

You definitely don't want to use it when you're pregnant or nursing, or if you have kidney or liver problems. It is possible that manic symptoms may emerge as a side effect.

2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

This is a supplement? Side effects read like a pharmacological agent.

3. vanzandt

vanzandt

4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

I saw that. But the study was only in patients that were taking Hydroxycut, which at the time contained chromium polynicotinate (since removed) which was known for liver issues.
    Here's a good review. https://otr-reviews.com/10-best-fda-approved-garcinia-cambogia-brand-reviews/

6. Pekelo

Pekelo

I think it is more of a fad, like pomegranate. I am sure it is not bad for you, but the health benefits are usually exaggerated. Wife ordered some, still sitting in the cabinet...

"
    But here's the thing: “Studies show that garcinia cambogia has little to no proven effect on body weight—but can cause side effects such as headache, nausea, gastrointestinal problems, and even liver damage and in rare circumstances liver failure,” says Amy Gorin, R.D.N., owner of Amy Gorin Nutrition in the New York City area. Horrific.
    In late 2017, the Food and Drug Administration also warned that at least one brand of garcinia cambogia pills contained a hidden ingredient called sibutramine, which has been known to increase blood pressure and heart rate and interact with other medications in life-threatening ways."

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/a21681583/apple-cider-vinegar-garcinia-cambogia-pills/

Apparently people mix it with ACV, but this article questions the practice...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  7. Pomegranate is a fad? Who knew. How about apples? Are they a fad, too?

destriero likes this.
  8. destriero

destriero

Garcinia is absolutely hepatotoxic. You can probably take it reasonably safely if you introduce silymarin and CoQ10 in high-doses.

I did DNP a few months ago after a client balked at the sides. I hadn't done it in years so I took 2g/day (2,000mg) of CoQ10 concurrent to its use. I literally saw zero weight loss; no sweating, no sides whatsoever.

I had effectively killed the 6:00 superoxide dump on Krebs/CAC with the massive dose of CoQ10. The moral is that the more you hedge--the less you can "win"

9. destriero

destriero

Someone asked--yes, I dropped the CoQ10 and I was sweating like a mofo, but over the following two weeks I started to see wrinkling on my forehead and some gray in the beard. I discontinued use, upped the CoQ10, and the gray and wrinkles disappeared.

IOW, the CoQ10 inhibited the metabolic uncoupling/superoxide formation.