Gaps

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by jgadefelth, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Where can i find more informations on how to play them correct?

Regards John

2. They don't really exist anymore so don't waste your time.

Trust me on this one.

3. What doesn't exist? All I play is gaps, so I am curious about what you are talking about.

As for the original poster - I cannot give you a resource to study. I was successful from looking at chart after chart after chart, and developing my own method. That is where I suggest you start. Good luck.

4. I guess I'll never stop being surprised at the comments here on ET.

I trade the ES market. Quite often that market gaps on the opening bar. I have made my living trading those gaps.

What I suggest you do is pick a market and see where and how it gaps. A spreadsheet study using Excel would be the place to start. Record the time and the size of the gap and how it moves during the next time period(s). After a few months of this, you will start to see patterns that you may be able to trade profitably.

I don't know of any texts that will help you.

Good luck,
    Lefty

5. LOL

Congratulations on your success trading Pit / NYSE Open And Close timeframe reference points.

Gaps as they once existed no longer exist because of Globex and other after hours markets (stocks).

It's a simple fact that electronic trading is almost 24 hrs worldwide, no need to get your panties in a knot about symantics.

6. Gaps in stocks exist as they have for the 10 years I have traded them. Frankly, I don't think you know what you are talking about.

7. Frankly I don't care what you think and Frankly I rarely trade stocks they are too slow and less profitable in my opinion and experience. :p

8. lol. I am glad to know there are people like you out there. Otherwise, I might not make as much money as I do.

9. Ha !

You keep thinking like that :)

10. In the electronic market, profitable gaps exist because of the significant volume changes from the overnight to the open of the US market.

Samson, I could really give a shit whether you agree. I concern myself with my P&L. It seems to indicate that tradeable gaps occur several times a week.

To the original poster, tradeable gaps occur in just about every commodity. Look at grains, meats, metals, and many others.

Gaps can be a source of income IF you do your research.

Good luck to you.
    Lefty

#10     Jun 14, 2005