Gann thread...

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by WDGann, Dec 9, 2002.

1. sharper

sharper

I said that Gann was a statistician first. You have dismissed Gann's use of astrology without having looked at it. Are you saying that Gann did not use any astrology? You can pick any of the parts of Gann's theory that you want to use.

Look at the whole recommended reading list.

#41     Dec 15, 2002
  2. sharper

sharper

From Gann's "How To Trade"

What To Look Up Before you Make a Trade:

Following are the most important points that you must consider before buying or selling a stock:

1. Annual Forecast determines year of Time Cycle, whether bull or bear year, and main trend of the general market, up or down.

2. Cycle of individual stock, whether up or down year.

3. Monthly position on angles from tops and bottoms and time periods.

4. Weekly position on time periods from tops and bottoms and on angles from tops and bottoms. See if it is squaring out Time from top and bottom.

5. Daily position on angles from important tops and bottoms and time periods. See whether a stock is near square of recent top or bottom.

6. Resistence Levels on price. See whether the stock is near any half-way point or other points of support or resistence.

7. Look to see if stock has held for several days, weeks or months around same level and whether it is about ready to cross or break important angles from tops or bottoms.

8. Look up volume of sales. See whether a stock has increased or decreased volume over past few days or weeks.

9. Look up space or price movement, up or down, for past movements. Find out what was the greatest advance or decline for past few weeks or months. For example: If a stock has reacted 5 points several times and at the time you look it up, you find it is 3 points down from the last top and the trend is up on monthly, weekly and daily with the price near a support angle, you could buy with a stop loss order 2 or 3 points away; then if the stock broke back over 5 points, the previous reaction limit, it would show a change in trend and you should be out of it.

10. Remember, the most important factor to depend on to determine the position of a stock is Geometrical Angles. Be sure to bring up the angles from "0" from recent tops and bottoms.

11. Never overlook the fact that you must have a definite indication before making a trade.

12. Most important of all - Always locate the point at which to place a stop loss order to limit risk

#42     Dec 15, 2002
  3. sharper

sharper

Gann's 28 Trading Rules

1. Never risk more than 10% of you trading capital in a single trade.

2. Always use stop-loss orders.

3. Never overtrade.

4. Never let a profit turn into a loss.

5. Don't enter a trade if you are unsure of the trend. Never buck the trend.

6. When in doubt, get out, and don't get in when in doubt.

7. Only trade active markets.

8. Distribute you risk equally among different markets.

9. Never limit your orders. Trade at the market.

10. Don't close trades without a good reason.

11. Extra monies from successful trades should be placed in a seperate account.

12. Never trade to scalp a profit.

13. Never average a loss.

14. Never get out of the market because you have lost patience or get in because you are anzious from waiting.

15. Avoid taking small profits and large losses.

16. Never cancel a stop loss after you have placed the trade.

17. Avoid getting in and out of the market too often.

18. Be willing to make money from both sides of the market.

19. Never buy or sell just because the price is low or high.

20. Pyramiding should be accomplished once it has crossed resistence levels and broken zones of distribution.

21. Pyramid issues that have a strong trend.

22. Never hedge a losing position.

23. Never change you position without a good reason.

24. Avoid trading after long periods of success or failure.

25. Don't try to guess tops or bottoms.

26. Don't follow a blind man's advice.

27. Reduce trading after the first loss; never increase

28. Avoid getting in wrong and out wrong; or getting in right and out wrong. This is making a double mistake

#43     Dec 15, 2002
  4. I'm actually commenting on you, Sharper...

But you mentioned my ignorance towards astro so here's a few thoughts:

First, the earth moves in 365 day. Now that's very close to 360. As you know Gann relates one year with 360 degrees. In another words, Earth has a natural cycle of 365 days(360). Now, if there is one cycle existing there are other natural proportions like 1/2, 1/3... and etc. etc. based on musical acoustics. Along with that you'll see resemblance with other Master Charts like Square of 9, 12, 360, Squaring the Circle Charts, Hexagon, Even/Odds and etc. I've been able to relate these scientifically and have a fair view of how they are applied.

My next step is astrology. As I said above, there are natural proportions, planetary motion closely resembles with the molecular structure's motion of electrons. I already know Kepler's Law and I've read some books on Astronomy and Astrology.

Because Planets move in definite law of motion and because Earth is part of the solar system. Disregarding the gravitational and electro-magnetic influences, there has to be some cyclical influences just based on Earth's cycle. Just like how upper partials of Earth, 4 seasons and etc are evident.

Now, the last part is still an assumption but that's my basis of looking into Astrology. I've found few but I'm looking into it.

Now, I hope you know I'm not ignorant about Astro.

#44     Dec 15, 2002
  5. sharper

sharper

yes, I think the technical and scientific side correlates to the astronomical points. The astrology leads a lot open to interpretation depending on how you forecast. In Tunnel Thru the Air, Gann made some pretty accurate predictions though, so he must have been pretty well versed in astrology. Some say study astrology first, but though he used it I would study maket statistics first which Gann was already well versed in before he studied the metaphysics.

Here is an interpretation of Gann's Soybean chart: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ellsann/index5.html

Connie Brown's site is good also: http://www.aeroinvest.com/broadcast/mta2000pr/ChartList.htm

#45     Dec 15, 2002
  6. Biased thought isn't it? What happened Time Cycle Course No. 3??? (Was it Master Time Factor No. 3... ahhh but Course #3)

#46     Dec 15, 2002
  7. now..we have a bunch of new-age Scientist talking about

astrology....

I will make a very simplistic observation from what I have gather

from this thread so far..

some of you suggest gann=astrology

and some of you suggest gann=science

ok...so science=astrology

and gann have somehow manange to capture

elements of both and make PROFITS from his discovery

(even after he's dead)by selling you courses and software..

I have no doubt his genius rival that of Einstein..

Is't it just amazing how ALL this relates to PROFITS!!

Well ..astrology is one of those subjects that I am very happy

(and proud) to admit that I know nothing of..

I surprise me everytime when I see the things people make up

in order to deceive themself..

I will say no more

p.s. as 4 Richard Dawkin..I really recommend his books..they are

very well-written

#47     Dec 15, 2002
  8. ...

#48     Dec 15, 2002
  9. sharper

sharper

ok, so what does Richard Dawkin have to do with PROFITS?

tell us why you think Gann's genius rivals that of Einstein?

since you say that Gann's theories aren't scientific - then what is you assumption that they are?

#49     Dec 15, 2002
  10. If one assumes Frogs Swim.
    If another person assumes Frogs Hop.

It doesn't mean swimming = hopping...

You might be stupid after all...

Well, he says he doesn't want to speak anymore so he didn't have a point... I guess just a flamer... LOL...

#50     Dec 16, 2002