Gann thread...

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by WDGann, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Maybe vegasoul has more idea about it than the other guys... He has a grasp in reality....

I never knew stars can tell me what to do... OK let's see, let me try this thing.... "Twinke, twinkle little star please tell me what you think about Sharper? And how I wonder what you are..."

Hmmm... OK... ahhh.... Really?... Ahhhh...

Thank you Mr. Star...

He says you need to grasp reality and start reading some real science books. You seem to lack in logic and reasoning, believing every word and assumptions in the recommended reading list.

LOL...

#31     Dec 15, 2002
  2. OK, I just remembered where I heard about Dawkins.... it's from the video game Parasite Eve... they had a movie about it in Japan.

#32     Dec 15, 2002
  3. sharper

sharper

Gann quoted the Bible many times, but I don't see what you are asking about. I will answer my question to you though. Knowing the time and place of birth is critical in erecting a correct natal horoscope. That is what he wrote and that wouldn't be "immaturely" coming to a conclusion about Gann's writings and methods. I have spoken with a relative of Gann also, and though he didn't know W.D. he did know John Gann quite well, and there is a lot of astrology in his works. With cycles, if you go back far enough, you can find that you don't need astrology though.

As far as Ezekiel from the Bible goes, there was a man that built an airplane that got the idea from the book of Ezekiel. The airplane has been on exhibit in Texarkana before and not sure now.

WDGann - Why then did W.D. write " '7' is a fatal number referred to many times in the Bible and it is ruled by the planet Saturn, which brings about contractions, depression, and panics. Seven times '7' equals 49, which is shown as the fatal evel year, causing extreme fluctuations."? Dismissing astrology without having looked at it is premature in you assumption that Gann didn't use it. Certainly he used other things in addition to the astrological side of it. Using astronomy will get you there also. I have said that he was first a statistician and then he studied astrology.

#33     Dec 15, 2002
  4. OK, Bible quoted this, Bible quoted that. Gann said this Gann said that. Thank you for refreshing my memory. Now how is all you've talked about relevant to:

1. Trading
    2. Interpretation of his techniques
    3. Science

Another thing.... a person basing Ezekiel as base of airplane.... that's a fictional character not a real person... It's Robert Gordon, the main character in Tunnel Thru the Air.... Are you sure you can differenciate reality and fiction?

#34     Dec 15, 2002
  5. sharper

sharper

Yes, the aircraft was in Tunnel Thru the Air, but it was a real airplaneand a real person that made the aircraft. http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/cannon_ezekiel.html

I'm not interpreting his techniques - I'm writing some out for you about what he thought.

#35     Dec 15, 2002
  6. Why did Gann write 7 as his fatal number? How should anyone know? I'm not Gann(ok my handle is WDGann, LOL), maybe the stars will tell us... we can only make assumptions but at least I can assume based on science and actual events rather than all your mystical assumptions.

But here's another thought. In a string instument, the hammer is placed to hit and rest at the 1/7 of the string to damp all harmonic upper partials with the 7th multiple. It's because 7th harmonics are not musically "harmonical" compared to the rest. Can that be why?

Who knows... Pythagoreas looked for meaning in numbers and he used musical harmonics to figure a few things out. From there, some astrologists might have related it to Astrological Aspects and Cycle phases. Then someone relating Gann's words with Astrology....

Geez... well, keep them coming

Added: I didn't know about the Ezekiel Aircraft. Great to know... thanks for the info...

#36     Dec 15, 2002
  7. sharper

sharper

Along with 7 being the fatal number, he wrote that it was ruled by Saturn. Yes, the stars or planet Saturn by what he wrote is telling you that 7 is the fatal number because of Saturn.

Before Pythagoreas was astro. I say astro because astronomy and astrology were one in the same back then.

#37     Dec 15, 2002
  8. Why not interpret? Please give me a reason. Or you just can't...

Before Astro there was music.

#38     Dec 15, 2002
  9. sharper

sharper

It all depends on how far you go back into time. The study of the equinoxes were important in when to plant crops. The ancient civilizations made use of astrology/astronomy and science. The pyramids are a great example of that. Some say that is where Gann got his idea about the square of nine, while others say that he didn't travel to Egypt. Some say that the square of nine has astrological meanings also, but I haven't studied that far into it.

He spent a year I think studying the prices of some crops. Most of us wouldn't study that long to find a correlation between the cycles. Most of what he wrote was on numbers and cycles, and he made pretty accurate predictions before he made it to NYC. He came up with a mechanical method but always said to use a stop loss. Nobody is perfect.

Lewis Borsellino stated in his book, "The Day Trader" that he had acquired all of Gann's material. Surely he has some, but I haven't asked him.

#39     Dec 15, 2002
  10. OK, let me get this straight.

Gann quotes: Great
    Bible quotes: Great

"As above so below": Great

Now, I'm sure it was in one of the Gann recommended reading list saying(was it Gann or Kybalion...) about Truth needs to be valid in 3 fields:

1. Religion

2. Philosophy (Theology)

3. Science

Now... what are you doing? You are actually deferring the truth by immaturely deferring concepts that maybe valid. What you are doing is immaturely misleading others with Religious and meta-theological quotes not being able to back it up, why does this happen? Duality... every word is due to the principle of duality that the truth are hidden beneath it. That is why numbers(math) and science is equally important.

It's the same in trading. Traders come up with concepts and ideas about what may work in the market. Rationally, it may be very reasonable. But once you trade it or even back-test it, most of it doesn't work. Our perception is very deferred and biased that we need some mathematical backup to trade it. It maybe statistics or just plain old trading.

Sharper, you need to do some thinking of your own before you get in further into Gann.

#40     Dec 15, 2002