Gamma vs Volatility

Discussion in 'Options' started by kv1289, Sep 6, 2019.

1. if you view delta as prob(ITM), it makes sense that when IV is low, the distribution is thinner, so the prob of OTM->ITM is lower, making gamma higher as spot moves; when IV higher, the prob is also higher making delta less sensitive so lower gamma

#11     Sep 6, 2019
  2. krugman25

krugman25 Guest

No, thank you for the image, your the one who posted it. Obviously all greeks move to zero, that wasn't the OP's question. Does gamma move up or down as IV increases, looks like potentially both depending on how far OTM you are.

#12     Sep 6, 2019
  3. destriero

destriero

It's not, but Dgamma/Dvol(Z) is the gearing (along with DgammaDspot(S)) that generates optionality in the OTM as vol and/or the distribution expands. Think of DgDs as synthetic DgDv.

#13     Sep 6, 2019
    Philo Judeaus likes this.
  4. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

I believe it was volskewtrader that said it, people need to be careful comparing strike to strike when they should be thinking more delta to delta, otherwise you start comparing apples to breadfruit. When something gets so far out of the money, or deep-in, it is no longer an option in anything but name. They exhibit little to no optionality.

#14     Sep 6, 2019
  5. destriero

destriero

OK, but what happens to the OTM option (strike) at cab when it suddenly trades ATM?

#15     Sep 6, 2019
  6. kv1289

kv1289

Hey guys sorry about the images! I have uploaded them again to this message... hope it works this time.

unnamed.png unnamed (1).png unnamed (2).png
    unnamed (3).png

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    #16     Sep 6, 2019
  7. Just for fun, attached below is a chart for some 2nd order Greeks:

upload_2019-9-6_22-21-7.png

Tomorrow we talk about 3rd order Greeks! Grin.

Edit: Looks like the charts already shows a couple of 3rd order Greeks. I’m just a couple of beers from complete understanding!

#17     Sep 6, 2019
  8. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

I get it, wheezooo is what I called DdelV thirty years ago. Good lord that sounds terrible to say. 30 - ouch!

#18     Sep 6, 2019
  9. destriero

destriero

#19     Sep 6, 2019
  10. kv1289

kv1289

It's from the OIC website. If you follow the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page, its the last paragraph.
    https://www.optionseducation.org/advancedconcepts/gamma

I was confused because the image doesn't match the text.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    #20     Sep 6, 2019