Gamma scalping:what volatility are you trading?

Discussion in 'Options' started by bologeorge, Oct 4, 2012.

1. ammo

ammo

the in the moneys on the box are fat, the fat priced options,loaded with premo,the nov 600c /660p strangle is 94 bid,600p660c 33 bid, add in the change and its a $60 box, you dont have to use aapl but that's 34 worth of premium in the fat strangle thats going to disappear,if we stay between 600 and 660,you obviously won't get it all ,but you see the writing on the wall,doesn't have to be aapl,i dont think you can do it with a customer acct due to margin and commissions,i was just answering another person's question

#31     Oct 10, 2012
  2. ahh the shorts are plump full of premuim.. i'm getting this slang.. i'm better at talking slang about girls or to them.. haha.. so you could just sell that box and make a portion of the 60 bucks as long as the underlying stays in range.. something tells me that 60 dollar range won't hold it..

#32     Oct 10, 2012
  3. Thank you cdcaveman.That is exactly what I mean. My idea of gamma scalping is that you long a straddle and use limit orders to scalp the underlying, by doing so you can "sit on" bid- ask spread, which will also bring you some edge.

It seems that the key of this strategy is to find a mean-reverting market, which the short term volatility is higher.

However, I still don't understand why you say a true trader would scalp options rather than underlying. It seems to me that by scalping options will greeks of the portofolio much more complicated.

#33     Oct 11, 2012
  4. ammo

ammo

you never know..but you can guess,at the moment everyone is still in awe of aapl.,still in awe of bernanke and the qe's, the premium suggests it won't,the mp hints that we could work that range

#34     Oct 11, 2012
  5. i don't know what i'm talking about "true trader" take what i say as my speculation... i'm throwing shit one the wall hoping someone corrects me haha.. but i do image a options market maker hedging with other options .. not the underlying as much.. besides you have an edge in the spread with options.. i would use options.. for more illiquid options your stuck with the underlying.. please correct me haha..

#35     Oct 11, 2012
  6. i guessed that two.. we will see if my timing is right ..

#36     Oct 11, 2012
  7. morant

morant

Let me tell you about my research

if you get realized vola in day period smaller than in intraday constantly - its a simple arbitrage oportunity.

I made lots of backtests - how to rehedge -step was 0.05%, 0.1%, 0.2%...1%... the result on the longrun is the same (with frequent rehedge you pay more comission, so at one point it becomes not reasonable)

So if you think that daily vola is lower - you can simply sell straddle and rehedge it once a day and buy the same straddle and rehedge it once a minute (or whatever). +straddle and -straddle will erase each other and you will get simple stock (future) strategy.

I doubt that it's possible to make money as simply, so i think you are wrong with 30% estimation intraday.

pls comment )

#37     Oct 20, 2012
  8. 30% intraday vol is just an assumption.
    I think you don't have to buy a straddle and sell it at the same time.
    Simply buy a straddle and hedge it every minute will be the same.
    I wonder where did you do the back test. I want to do that but cannot find a proper software. I will appreciate if you can tell me.

#38     Oct 21, 2012
  9. morant

morant

Multicharts or Omega.

The idea is that if you think that some hedge is better than other (say 1 min is better than 1 hour) you can not buy options, but hedge +gamma every 1 minute and -gamma every 1 hour, and you will get a profit.

Market is rather balanced, so such strategy will not be profitable (in my opinion).

#39     Oct 21, 2012
  10. TskTsk

TskTsk

I get the same % vola no matter what time period I use. I think your math is off. Such an arbitrage would be too good to be true now in 2012.

As for gamma scalping, it's the same as with all volatility trading. Long gamma means a slow bleed with occasional big profits, short gamma means slow profits with occasionally big losses. Personally I prefer the latter as I believe there is a systematic overestimation of implied volas in markets due to irrational fear/greed responses (psychology). Personal experiences seem to confirm this, I've been employing such a strategy for a long time now and so far have made decent profits. I also have other filters obviously, I don't just blindly sell vola.

#40     Oct 21, 2012