games and hiring traders

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by zdreg, Dec 25, 2006.

1. I've read that cover to cover more times than I'd care to admit -- why would you assume I am unaware? Could it be I'm trying to make a point besides the obvious?

Would you start basketball try-outs with how well they throw a football? Why dance around the subject? Sit them down in front of a bloomberg 30 minutes before NFP to do research, then randomly pick a market (sif, treasuries, currency, metals etc) for them to trade the release. The point wouldn't be so much the p/l, but to find out how they would prepare themselves for such an event.

#11     Dec 25, 2006
  2. im in for playing some games...what town are you in?

#12     Dec 25, 2006
  3. rwk

rwk

The most common form of a one-person game is a puzzle. You might have a look at sudoku.

The obvious question is: How can you predict how well a trader candidate will do? I don't think anybody has figured this one out. Otherwise, trader compensation wouldn't be so high.

An executive with a large Japanese company once asked a legendary American trader to come teach their people to trade. His response was that it would be a waste of time. Japanese culture isn't very compatible with successful trading. Similarly, there are few great women traders even though it requires very little upper body strength.

Are good traders born or made? Richard Dennis supposedly proved that trading can be taught, but he also did a very thorough screening of his candidates. I think trading involves both.

#13     Dec 25, 2006
  4. I simply push buttons and follow my system and wait. What does game playing have to do with that?

It's simple.... just find the medium term trend and if you want to trade in and out intraday, then only take those trades in the direction of that trend.

I have found my Holy Grail...and I do not need to play any games. I am completley content to trade my own money and write here in my little trading world that ET provides.

Now ask me next December how I feel and that can all change...:)

Zdreg, I wish you a very prosperous journey during your quest and Good Trading to you.

Try to not use ET for your recruiting efforts and I am not warning you....It's just that I must remind...I truly appreciate your contributions here in ET, which in my opinion far exceed mine, and I consider you a senior trader to me.

Thank you sir.

Michael B.

P.S. I know there are a few others in here that really need to be warned about recruiting, and trust me it is being taken care of. ET is a place for traders to discuss trading with one another. Here in ET we have many professionals that discuss the internal workings of their business, which I find fascinating, along with the other guests here.

#14     Dec 25, 2006
  5. Maze games. They can be as simple or complex as you desire.
    http://billsgames.com/mazegenerator/

Day one: Candidate gets a maze to successfully complete. Say it takes 10 minutes. Have candidate wait 30 minutes doing nothing, but tell them they must be ready in 20 minutes. Repeat with same maze but don't tell candidate it's the same one. Did they score a better time? Lets say time was 8 minutes. Candidate waits another 30 minutes doing nothing. Maze 3 is the same maze and you tell him/her so. The twist is you ask them how much time they will need to complete the task, and it cannot exceed previous time of 8 minutes. Their answer will tell you something about self confidence. You also tell them they have 15 minutes before the next test, but you only give them 5. Ability to meet their goal will tell you something about pattern memory. You have also given them a hint you don't always tell the truth.
    You now give them a different maze, but tell them it's the same old maze they've been doing. You ask them how long it will take them this time. How bold will they be thinking it's a lock? How much time do they shave off? Their time estimate will also tell you if they've picked up on your lieing. They will fail and you tell them you lied to them, just like the charts/markets will lie to them. How do they react? Keep repeating this process all day and see how conservative they do, or don't become with their time estimates.
    Day 2: Same thing
    Day 3: Same thing
    Day 4: Same damn thing, just like trading day in/day out.
    Day 5: If they show up with out a gun and fit your personal risk profile...you have your trainee.
    You can make your variables whatever you want, but you will find out the basics of their personality.

#15     Dec 25, 2006
  6. I use to play lpmuds, text based role playing games before modern day WOW ..world of warcraft.

Sometimes when things get slow, I play WOW on one of the screens.

I average about 20-30% ROE/24hrs, with extreme leverage, scalping mostly asian sessions. 8:2 W:L ratio.

I'm trying to get programmers to automate my scalping, but at the same time dont want to give away too much methodology.

email me:

xarn19712002@yahoo.com

#16     Dec 25, 2006
  7. jtnet

jtnet

30% in 24 hrs everyday?

#17     Dec 25, 2006
  8. no not everyday.. only obtain with sufficient waves and volatility.

#18     Dec 25, 2006
  9. jtnet

jtnet

which is the best asain market & s ymbols to trade. i was looking into some late night stuff. since i am on east coast time.

#19     Dec 25, 2006
  10. i trade mainly usd.jpy it tends to have a bullish stint usually. Odds are if you get long at the bottom of the range established
    with factorin in stop runs by banks.. they will offer the best entry.

#20     Dec 25, 2006