Game over...settled by the pope

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Turok, Jul 11, 2007.

1. jem

jem

well there are hints, in science, in the astronomy and coincidences in the bible that do no look random to me.

As far as evil is concerned that is a by product of free will.

you would be unhappy if you had no power to choose.

My theology believes that there is no true trust and love without free will. No intelligent being would want to create angels or man and not give them the freedom to make decisions.

#11     Jul 12, 2007
  2. Which brings us back to your earlier question. What if your "theology" is the "wrong" one? Pray tell, what then? And God, in all his laxity with humans here one Earth, simply allows free will to prevail, allowing the pet owner to feed a rat to his pet snake. Oh, and you're the rodent. No doubt, the snake will be lip-syncing that popular song with slightly different lyrics: "Don't you wish your religion was hot like mine..."
    :D

I guess my point is that the world would exist entirely as it is either with or without your "theology." But if something gives you warmth and comfort, then by all means wear it.

P.S. As for your comment that evil is a by product of free will, that comment does not invalidate the possibility that God is evil (assuming He exists). The universe may very well be a relatively self-sustaining ecosystem that he designed for his high-handed and arbitrary entertainment value. My theory is no less plausible than anyone else's, insofar as theology is concerned.

#12     Jul 12, 2007
  3. jem

jem

Of course my beliefs could be wrong, i have tried hard to refine them but they could be wrong.

#13     Jul 12, 2007
  4. bluud

bluud

is that supposed to mean that the stupid God is intelligent?

or are you trying to say you are so smart that you can guess what a highly intelligent being would do?

#14     Jul 13, 2007
  5. It is the same old flawed argument that the atheists fall back on, more than likely due to their childhood wounding that still haunts them.

The first flaw is an argument from ignorance of God or God's real nature to a conclusion of condemning God for human behaviors.

It just gets more irrational from there...

What if never, ever ends until you die...
    and even then you don't know if it ends there...

The continual ifs and but ifs are a child's game...

#15     Jul 13, 2007
  6. Turok

Turok

What if there was an all powerful being from somewhere?
    What if this being created this earth for some reason?
    What if he wants (some of) us to come "home" to be with him for all eternity?
    What if he left this obtuse book for us to interpret a thousand different ways?
    ...but if we don't interpret the book just so we are doomed.
    ...but if we don't love him just so we can't come home.
    ...but if we don't follow the right path we will be punished in any number of fiery ways.
    ...but if we don't believe we have no hope of survival.

Ztroll:
    >The continual ifs and but ifs are a child's game...

Agreed.

JB

#16     Jul 13, 2007
  7. jem

jem

Uhhhhh I chose the later.

I concede you make a point - God could be anything. However, I sort of predefined God based on the context of this conversation.

However I agree your God could clearly be stupid.

#17     Jul 13, 2007
  8. Not surprisingly, you missed the point of my earlier post. I was pointing out that my scenario was no less plausible than any other theologically proposed scenario. They are both almost certainly wrong. However, a priori, one is no more substantive than the other.

What I continue to find amusing is the authoritative role that you have self-righteously assumed in rendering final and unassailable verdicts in all matters God. I bask in your omniscience. Do be sure to give Him my regards.

#18     Jul 13, 2007
  9. Yours is less plausible, because you are applying a limited intellect only to a limitless problem, so the answer is bound to be limited, and lacking in a complete truth.

By applying unlimited faith however, there is no limitation to deal with.

Consequently any concept of God you have is limited by the tools you use, which goes against the basic generally accept definition of God being unlimited.

Unlimited God is much more plausible than a limited God, but as long as you use limited instruments you have no chance at all to even grasp the concept of unlimited God.

#19     Jul 13, 2007
  10. LoZZZer has a very close relationship with God, didn't you know?
    The Almighty has personally sent him on a grand mission to troll the earth for 2000 years.

_________

Let's say you owned a kennel with many dogs.

As the kennel owner you have near absolute control over the quality of life your dogs experience. Would you choose to give your dogs decent, nutritional food, or would you keep some of them in starvation? Would you inoculate them against preventable diseases, or would you prefer that they live in misery with heartworm, intestinal parasites & rabies? Would you let 6 million of your beloved dogs be gassed/starved/shot/tortured to death by nazis, or would you never allow something so horrible to occur?

That's why I say that if God does in fact exist, he's a cruel heartless sadist.

#20     Jul 14, 2007