Gambling Pure and Simple

Discussion in 'Journals' started by wannabehftrader, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Very nice day today, i kept my losses small and my wins bigger, I didn't break any rules today, a first!!!!!!

Net of commissions i made $1,037

I am getting it now, if a positions goes against me today i sold it immediately, my win/loss percentage was about the same as historical 61/39 but the <b>key</b> was my average loss was lower than my average win.
    I studied all weekend my performance over the last 18 trading days and my glaring problem was my losses avg 3 times more than my wins, so even winning 61 to 39 i was negative.'
    I guess it took me to analyze my stats every which way known to man and see the one thing out of whack, and then act on it in real time. I feel like I just discovered my holy grail, and I feel awesome!!!!

#41     Apr 18, 2005
  2. I had an average day till 4pm. I was up $250 down $150 till i got knocked on INTC after the close.
    Net Loss for the day $1771
    I don't call this the gambling journal for nothing :(

At least my QQQQ calls should pay off tomorrow to dampen the loss.

#42     Apr 19, 2005
  3. WHOSE YOUR DADDY!!!!!!!!!!!

Short all day long in and out I took know long positions.
    Sold my QQQQ calls for a profit at the open, shorted AAPL, ESLR and CTXS!!!!!!!!

Net Profit for the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$2,371.00

:p :cool: :) :D

#43     Apr 20, 2005
  4. Congrats. I gotta hand it to you 'cause you got some balls, there is no way I'd want that kind of equity swings over a few days!! But I hope you make a killing in the next few months I'm rooting for you...

#44     Apr 20, 2005
  5. thanks chris, yes the equity swings i am working on to correct, if i follow my rules that wouldnt happen and if i hit the lottery i wouldnt be here.
    j/k:D

#45     Apr 20, 2005
  6. I got beat down today. think my win loss ratio was like 1 - 100 jk
    I lost net $1,521, I was short all day :( no long trades

I traded AAPL,ESLR,DCLK, and AFFX.:mad: :mad: :mad:

#46     Apr 21, 2005
  7. lar

lar

Dear wannabehftrader,

This brief note is about controlling those things you can control and is just a thot about protecting your emotional health. Your ups and downs and the YEEHAWW!!!! winning days alternating with the dejected losing days is a short trip to emotional instability. Even if you net out a growing account balance, these emotional swings will take a serious toll on your health, functionality and ability to trade in the future.

Fwiw, I would suggest that you moderate your emotions. When you win - look at it as if you are just doing your job. If you lose, be consoled that you are following your rules and so even in a loss, you are just doing your job. Take them both in stride.

That is far easier said than done but it is part of the internal work we have to do. It is particularly harder to do if overleveraged or underfunded and the result of each trade has much more emotional meaning.

I don't put myself out to be an expert in anything but I have gone through this particular part of the journey. I found there was no way to control my account if I couldn't even control my emotions.

Just a thot - respectfully offered,

Lar

#47     Apr 21, 2005
  8. thx for the advice lar.

My trading has been 1000 percent better over the past 2 weeks, if i follow my rules and lose i can't get upset. Dissapointed yes, I do go on roller coaster rides with emotion, but i love it, wouldnt want to do anything else:)

#48     Apr 21, 2005
  9. lar

lar

Ok, have fun.

gtty,

Lar

#49     Apr 21, 2005
  10. hey all for u man. this is how you learn . just keep it tight and what you think of adding winners and starting your lots smaller? or maybe start trading nyse. use automation maybe to get filled (short) when your stock you want gaps up.. and the opposite when it gaps down (go long). You got balls man , somethin i don't have. but once again this is real money so be smart, start small now until u get consistent. add to winners and as u get beter you will find out u will be net positive even though you are right 30% of the time. later.

#50     Apr 22, 2005