Gallup state numbers predict huge Obama loss

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Navin Johnson, Feb 1, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

Awwww come on. These polls are highly accurate. Obama should just throw in the towel and save the Democrats a billion dollars. :D :D

#31     Feb 1, 2012
  2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Saw this on Drudge too. Can we draw some hope from these state polls?

Man it would be nice to at least have a chance of beating Obama. If he gets another 4-years he is going to be super-radical with almost nothing to stop him except congress.

#32     Feb 1, 2012
  3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

:D

#33     Feb 1, 2012
  4. I wouldn't doubt PA. NY only in a real blowout, but the strategic thing about it is the Dems would actually have to spend money in NY to nail it, not something they usually have to do. Making the other side play defense is part of the game.
    Re Epic's scenario, I can't see Michigan going red. As for the Mormon thing, I don't know where they're strong outside Utah so I'll have to research that one for myself. Hadn't thought of that angle.

#34     Feb 1, 2012

5. The Mormon thing is going to hurt a lot more then it helps imo.Mormons have a history of racism,polygamy,most pastors say they arn't Christians and they wear magic underwear to ward off evil .Obama is already beating Romney in polls and the super pacs hasn't even started to attack the Mormon issue

PRINCETON, NJ -- Though the vast majority of Americans say they would vote for their party's nominee for president in 2012 if that person happens to be a Mormon, 22% say they would not, a figure largely unchanged since 1967.

The question is mainly relevant to the Republican and independent vote in 2012, given that the current Republican front-runner, Mitt Romney, is an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly known as the Mormon church, and that another Mormon, former Utah Gov. and former Ambassador to China Jon Huntsman, may enter the race for the GOP nomination as early as next week.

The new Gallup poll, conducted June 9-12, finds nearly 20% of Republicans and independents saying they would not support a Mormon for president. That is slightly lower than the 27% of Democrats saying the same.

The largest differences in opposition to voting for a Mormon for president are by educational level, with adults who have not attended college more resistant than those with some college experience or college graduates. This educational pattern is seen in attitudes about voting for someone from almost all of the specific religious or demographic groups tested in the poll.

There are no significant differences on this question by gender, age, region of the country, or religious preference. Additionally, the views of Americans who attend their place of worship weekly are no different from those of less frequent attenders or non-attenders.

Opposition to Mormon President Among the Most Common Voting Bias

At 22%, Americans' resistance to electing a Mormon president, even one nominated by their own party, is exceeded only by their opposition to electing someone who is either gay or lesbian (32%) or an atheist (49%). By contrast, less than half as many, 10%, say they would not vote for a Hispanic, and fewer than 10% would not vote for a nominee who is Jewish, Baptist, Catholic, female, or black.

[​IMG]

http://www.lifeway.com/ArticleView?...feWay-Poll-Pastors-say-Mormons-not-Christians

Poll: Pastors say Mormons not Christians

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Most pastors feel strongly that Mormons are not Christians, according to a survey by LifeWay Research.

The survey polled 1,000 American Protestant pastors and asked them to respond to the statement: "I personally consider Mormons (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) to be Christians."

Three-quarters (75 percent) disagree with the statement, including 60 percent who strongly disagree and 15 percent who somewhat disagree. Just 11 percent somewhat agree, 6 percent strongly agree and 9 percent do not know.

"Though pastors believe overwhelmingly that Mormonism is not Christianity, their opinions should not be confused with personal scorn for Mormons," said Ed Stetzer, president of LifeWay Research. "A person can respect a religious group and even appreciate their commitment to traditional moral values without equating their beliefs with Christian orthodoxy."

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/229...12-robert-jeffress-says-mormonism-is-cult.htm

Mitt Romney’s Mormon Faith: Polls Show Americans Are Suspicious of Mormonism

Even before Robert Jeffress, the pastor of the First Baptist Church of Dallas, warned those who attended last weekend's Values Voter Summit against voting for former Gov. Mitt Romney because of his affiliation with the "cultish" Church of Jesus Christ and Latter-day Saints, Romney's Mormon religion has ostracized him from the start of the GOP primary race.

The Republican primaries have been heavily influenced by the Tea Party -- and their largely conservative Christian supporters -- since candidates began throwing their hats into the ring earlier this year. Both former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, a longshot candidate who is also a Mormon, and Romney have been hindered by questions over their faith, something Romney also faced during his 2008 presidential run.

Jeffress' Comments Caused Stir

Questions regarding Romney's faith came to a head last week when Jeffress, while introducing Gov. Rick Perry, denounced Mormonism as a cult and said Romney is "not a Christian" as a result. While Jeffress' comments caused a stir among reporters and pundits alike, they apparently went over well with the audience at the Values Voter Summit. That is because many religious Americans are generally taught to be suspicious of Mormonism.

A September poll from the Brookings Institute, called "What It Means to be American," found that Americans are generally less tolerant of Mormons than other religious groups. Sixty-seven percent of those polled reportedly expressed favorable views of the Latter-day Saints, compared with 84 percent for Jews and 83 percent for Catholics.

Moreover, a June Gallup poll found that almost a quarter of Americans -- 22 percent -- are hesitant to support a presidential nominee who happens to be a Mormon, a figure largely unchanged since 1967. In contrast, only 10 percent of respondents said they would not vote for a Hispanic and fewer than 10 percent said they would not vote for a nominee who is Jewish, Baptist, Catholic, female or black.

#35     Feb 1, 2012
  6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

What will the racists from your part of the country do? Vote for a black man or vote for a Morman? Quite a conflict for you and your family.

I mean, you weren't born a racist, you learned racism from those around you.

#36     Feb 1, 2012
  7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Lots of Mormons in Nevada too. Romney is going to crush Newt there. Not sure about Ron Paul or Santorum. Alot of people think Santorum will get out of the race this next week.

#37     Feb 1, 2012

8. Lets clear up the fact that you consider me a racist because I posted a video of an African American civil rights hero of mine.With that said .....

#38     Feb 1, 2012
  9. Epic

Epic

I agree on NY. No chance of it ever going red in the near future. PA is closer as the GOP only needs to pick up an extra 6% to win it. If it's Romney he has a very good shot at New Hampshire as he is popular there and only needs to pick up an extra 5%, though he probably wouldn't win his home state of Mass.

Michigan won't go red for anyone but Romney. But the Romneys are very popular in Michigan, so it will be in play if it is Mitt for the GOP.

Re Mormons. They are obviously a strong presence in UT and ID, but most people don't realize how much influence they have in NV, AZ, CA, and HI too. They have a decent presence in CO and NM too, but not like the other states. Out in the west they aren't viewed with nearly as much negativity as in the South and East as people in the west realize that they are pretty normal.

#39     Feb 1, 2012
  10. Epic

Epic

Yep, and AZ too. That is why Newt is gonna have such a hard time. He only has a chance in Minnesota this month. All the rest will easily go to Romney. Except maybe Main, but who really cares about that?

NV, CO, AZ, MI are all Romney territory. The only states left for Newt to have a shot are MN and MO and Newt didn't get on the ballot in MO.

#40     Feb 1, 2012