Gallup: Obama's Post Bin Laden Bump Has Vanished

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rc8222, May 17, 2011.

1. rc8222

rc8222

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2011/05/obamas-postbin.php

The bump President Obama received after the killing of Osama bin Laden more than two weeks ago in Pakistan has vanished completely, according to the latest Gallup Tracking poll released Monday.

Obama's approval rating is now at 46 percent, equal to his approval rating in the last tracking poll conducted before Obama addressed Americans late on May 1 and informed them of bin Laden's death. Forty-four percent of Americans now disapprove of the job Obama is doing as president.

According to the Gallup poll, Obama's approval rating crested at 52 percent after the bin Laden killing. His disapproval rating never fell lower than 40 percent.

Obama's bounce is smaller in magnitude and shorter in duration than the bumps enjoyed by other presidents over the past 70 years, according to a study by Republican polling firm Public Opinion Strategies. For example, George W. Bush received a 15-point bump after the capture of Saddam Hussein in 2003 -- a bounce that lasted seven weeks.

The poll also comes the same day as Gallup announced that three in four Americans "name some type of economic issue as the 'most important problem' facing the country today -- the highest net mentions of the economy in two years. Those numbers, combined with Obama's fleeting boost, suggest the economy remains -- by far-- the dominant issue of the 2012 presidential election.

*** Not to mention the Supreme Court striking down all of Obamacare in June of 2012!!! :D

2. If the economy recovers (especially jobs), Obama will be easily re-elected. If not, he will be vulnerable in 2012. Ninety percent of all national elections are a "confidence/no-confidence" vote on the economy.

3. Trillions spent and what we've gotten is a crack up boom in risk assets. Along with that we're now getting the "bad" side of the inflation in higher commodity prices and the trend towards a permanently lowered standard of living for anybody who can't feed at the risk asset trough.

If anything, we merely bought a two year respite in what will prove to be a generational wipeout. I highly doubt they have 18 months more ammo to keep this juggling act together.

4. Ricter

Ricter

Commodities are falling.

5. pspr

pspr

QE2 is over next month. Is there a QE3 ready to follow?

6. Ricter

Ricter

Everything I'm reading says, "no". We may have enough traction now to do without it.

7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

that's a laugh.

there will be more qe - there has to be. whether it is blatant or hidden will be the question. but remove the government and the fed from the market and watch it fall into the abyss.

8. If you are correct, and you may well be... that "the QE money-pump is the only think preventing [temporarily] the US economy from slipping into recession and/or stagflation", then the US truly is in its "end game".

History has shown over and over again... at some point, inflation and currency debasement go parabolic and are out of control.... the end of those periods are economic collapse... followed by.... oppression and dictatorship, for one.

9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

to say the country is in it's "end game" is too severe.

each administration and congress has continued the "not on my watch" bullshit. recessions are a necessary cycle of the economy. preventing a recession by artificially borrowing from the future does nothing but make the inevitable recession down the road that much more powerful. at this point, it's going to be a tidal wave of bad times. eventually it'll get to the point where no amount of stimulus and QE will help, and then it will simply overcome us.

make no mistake, while it will be the next great depression, the US still will emerge. it could emerge a dictatorship, but it'll be a helluva lot more conservative fiscally.

on another, unrelated note, i have decided that this will be my last post in which i do not use capital letters.

10. 1. "The end game" could take 30-40 years of deterioration before climactic collapse... (Just like the collapse of the Roman Empire)

2. If we "emerge as a dictatorship, conservative or not".... it's still the "end of America" and instilled by the Founders.

America as a continent will always be a patch of dirt. In that sense, it will never end.. the only differences will be who is calling the shots, and what is the life of the inhabitants.

#10     May 17, 2011