Gallstones

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vedanta, Jan 23, 2009.

1. you are happy for your stone??

i dont get it?? :confused:

#11     Jan 24, 2009

2. The doctors discover his cancer when Brandon had the kidney stone. If he did not have a kidney stone, then his cancer would be discovered much later and make it harder to treat.
    Go eat a hamburger killthesunshine, and get your neurons to work. :eek:

#12     Jan 24, 2009
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

I can't argue with that. I went about my normal work and routine for 3 - 4 months before the doctor finally decided it wasn't going to pass on it's own.

I'm generally tolerant of pain. I've been stung in the eye by a wasp. I've had a broken jaw guarding home plate as a catcher. A broken foot where I hobbled around for 6 weeks with no cast or crutches(parents too cheap to buy them). I've had a needle stuck into my eye while wide awake(pre-surgery). My sister-in-law (an RN) recently stuck me repeatedly with a needle in the same spots on my wrist and back trying to drain some cysts in her kitchen. I never so much as grimaced let alone flinched. I've been hit in the head with a large rock thrown by a childhood friend and had to have stitches on the back of my head. I've had arthritis in my neck for years for which I take no medication. I went to work the morning after having all four wisdom teeth removed without taking any pain medication (not allowed).

I can honestly say none of the above even comes close to the pain of the 10mm stone I had.

#13     Jan 24, 2009
  4. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Yes, thrilled in fact. Had I not had the stone my cancer likely would have had a chance to grow and spread for an extra 6 to 12 months as the kind I had is very rarely found until it's too late. Nearly 80% of those diagnosed will be dead with in a year, however, since we had a good headstart on it I've had a much improved outcome.

#14     Jan 24, 2009
  5. Yeah, cuz genetic predisposition has nothing to do with it.

Two people following the same exact diet, one gets kidney stones, the other doesn't.

Study a little more before you make blanket statements like that.

#15     Jan 24, 2009
  6. a trader with 'fatalistic' philosophy .. how's that working out for you :D

does your lifestyle have anything to do with it?

maybe turning on bad genes??

#16     Jan 24, 2009
  7. What are you talking about?

Of course lifestyle has something to do with it. Everything that happens to you is a function of genes + lifestyle, but genes contribute more to the mix.

But you can't say the reason someone got kidney stones is because of their diet. Even medicine hasn't really proven that. For example, they thought it was caused by high protein, so they put people on low protein diets but it didn't reduce the incidence at all.

Hopefully in the future genetic testing will be very advanced. You can get a vial of blood taken and be given a full list of things you should and shouldn't do. Actually, this technology is starting to come around. https://www.23andme.com/ will do genetic testing on you, but it's fairly pricey.

#17     Jan 25, 2009
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

My doctor told me my stone was due more to what I drank than ate. This area in particular (Atlanta) is bad due to the minerals in the water. Carbonated sodas are supposedly a contributing factor as well.

#18     Jan 25, 2009
  9. Thanks . I have looked at the contents of the book. It seems flushing the stones is taking quite a lot of olive oil. This might not work. Large stone may not be able to gothrough the tube and might cause lot of pain as a result.

There must be some gradual process through food and supplements.

#20     Jan 26, 2009